Centre of mass of non-uniform rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
carlyn medona

Homework Statement


The mass of non uniform rod increases linearly with distance from lighter end. If m is mass of the rod and l it's total length a the linear density at lighter end, then found the distance of centre of mass from lighter end

Homework Equations


I put λ= kx+a where lands is linear density k a constant and x the distance from lighter end and integrated but can't get the answer in terms of m l and a

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
So how do I eliminate k from the equation
 
Attachments
  • 15115830849729529855.jpg
    15115830849729529855.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 691
I think I made a mistake in my first calculation , is this one right?
 
Attachments
  • 1511584864433740238330.jpg
    1511584864433740238330.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 779
carlyn medona said:
I think I made a mistake in my first calculation , is this one right?
Yes this looks right.
 
carlyn medona said:
So how do I eliminate k from the equation

For future reference: you should not post images of handwritten work; actually take the time and trouble to type things out. Most helpers will not even look at all at such posted images, but you were lucky in this case to get a sympathetic reader. Please consult the post "Guidelines for students and helpers" by Vela, pinned to the start of this forum's file list.