Centre of mass problem; Non uniform rod with ball weights

In summary, the conversation discusses a non-uniform rod with a length of 1m and a linear mass density of λ(x)=λo(1-(x/2L)) where λo=1Kg/m. The rod is initially supported at its midpoint and its left end lies on the ground. Part a asks for the position of the centre of mass along the rod when it is in its horizontal position. Part b involves fixing small uniform metal balls of radius r=1cm and mass m=50g to the lighter end of the unbalanced rod to determine how many balls it takes to tip the rod over. The equations used in solving the problem are M=∫λ(x)dx and X(centre of mass
Conesdome

Homework Statement

A non uniform rod of length L=1m and linear mass density:

λ(x)=λo(1-(x/2L))

with λo=1Kg/m. It is supported at it's midpoint and initially tips over so that it's left end lies on the ground.

Part a: Find the position of the centre of mass along the rod when it is in it's horizontal position.

Part b: One begins to fix small uniform metal balls of radius r=1cm and mass m=50g to the lighter end of the unbalanced rod. Starting from the end and moving inwards with each ball touching the next. How many balls does it take to tip the rod over?

That is the bones of the question. Here is a link to the actual question more clearly outlined with diagrams.
http://i.imgur.com/Hnr3z.png

Homework Equations

M=∫λ(x)dx

X(centre of mass position)= 1/m∫xλ(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved part a. The mass of the rod is 0.75Kg and the position of the centre of mass (Xcm) is 4/9M (0.44444m).
I have tried for hours today and yesterday to solve part b but not had any luck. My original idea was to make the centre of mass L/2 (0.5m) and then solve for the mass. Then I got the difference in the masses and tried to find how many metal balls would equal that mass. This didn't feel right as the size and position of the balls of the rod are not been taken into account. I don't know how I am meant to approach this question at all. Is it a case of balancing masses, of balancing the forces on either side or perhaps splitting the rod into segments that make it easier to deal with? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the centre of mass and why is it important?

The centre of mass is a point in an object where the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is important because it helps us understand the overall motion and stability of an object.

How do you calculate the centre of mass for a non-uniform rod with ball weights?

In order to calculate the centre of mass for a non-uniform rod with ball weights, you need to divide the rod into smaller sections and calculate the individual mass and distance of each section from a specific point. Then, using the formula for centre of mass, you can find the overall centre of mass for the rod.

What is the difference between centre of mass and centre of gravity?

Centre of mass is a point where the entire mass of an object is considered to be concentrated, while centre of gravity is the point where the force of gravity acts on an object. In most cases, these two points are in the same location, but in situations where there is a significant difference in gravitational pull, the centre of mass and centre of gravity may not align.

How does the location of the centre of mass affect the stability of an object?

The location of the centre of mass affects the stability of an object because it determines the point about which the object will rotate. If the centre of mass is located within the base of support of the object, it will be stable. However, if the centre of mass is located outside the base of support, the object will be unstable and may topple over.

How can the centre of mass be used to predict the motion of an object?

The centre of mass can be used to predict the motion of an object because it acts as the point of application for the net force acting on the object. By understanding the location of the centre of mass and the forces acting on the object, we can predict the direction and magnitude of its motion.