1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Acceleration Question

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1
    An object weighing 4 newtons swings on the end of a string as a simple pendulum. At the bottom the swing, the tension in the string is 6 newtons. What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the object at the bottom of the swing.

Centripetal Acc. = v^2/r Sum of forces = T+Ac=mg???

Attempt

-T-mg=Ac?
    -6-4 = Ac
    I don't know where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Newton's second law says
    $$\sum \vec{F}_i = m\vec{a}.$$ The centripetal acceleration is not a force. It's an acceleration. It goes into the righthand side of F=ma. The tension and the weight go into the lefthand side. Try again and pay attention to the sign of T and mg when summing the forces.

4. Feb 8, 2014 #3
    So I set it up as Sum of forces = T-mg=Ac
    6-4=Ac
    2?

5. Feb 8, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Closer. The lefthand side is correct, but the righthand side isn't. You can't add up a bunch of forces and then set the result to something that isn't a force. ##a_c## is the centripetal acceleration; it's not a force. It's the ##a## in ##ma## on the righthand side.

6. Feb 8, 2014 #5
    ah my bad I was correcting it as you answered .
    so is it 2=mAc
    so its 2 g ? the answer choices only come in a number times g

7. Feb 8, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Not quite. You need to figure out what the mass of the object is from its weight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted