Centripetal Acceleration - Two people situated at different latitudes on Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses an assignment question involving determining the centripetal acceleration of a person at different latitudes on Earth. The individual shares their attempts at solving the problem and asks for help understanding the correct solution. The conversation also mentions the Earth's rotation and radius as well as equations and strategies used to solve the problem.
crono_
For starters, I feel sorry for those who have to sift through all these questions and answer them. It seems like you've got a very busy job! Hopefully there are many of you to share the workload.

This is an assignment question that I get 3 attempts on. I've made two, both were incorrect. I'd like to try and salvage at least a couple of marks, if possible...

Thankfully, I managed to get part (a) correct, it's (b) is causing the stress.

Homework Statement

The Earth rotates once per day about an axis passing through the north and south poles, an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the equator. Assuming the Earth is a sphere with a radius of 6.38 x 10^6 m, determine the centripetal acceleration of a person situated (a) at the equator and (b) at a latitude of 17.0 ° north of the equator.

rE = 6.38 x 10^6m

T = 86400s (1 day)

Homework Equations

ac = v2 / r

v = 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]r / T

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)

v = 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]r / T

v = 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]6.38 x 10^6m / 86400s

v = 463.9666 m/s (I kept a few extra digits for now...that's okay, right?)

With v I went to calculate ac = v2 / r

ac = v2 / r

ac = (463.9666 m/s)2 / 6.38 x 10^6m

ac = 0.0337 m/s2

Now on to (b)

I tried this two different ways. The first was trying to determine the new radius with trig and visualizing a couple of right angel triangles in the picture that came with the question. But this was a waste of time as the sides wouldn't add up properly due to the Earth's spherical shape.

After that, I tried to google the question to see if there was any advice online. Found a Yahoo answer stating that the new radius would be rE cos17. Seemed easy enough...

r = 6.38 x 10^6m cos17 = 6.10 x 10^6m

ac = v2 / r

ac = (463.9666 m/s)2 / 6.10 x 10^6m

ac = 0.0353 m/s2

But this came back wrong as well...

Any help would be appreciated. I've already lost the marks for the question, but would really like to know how to do it for next time!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Weight...

Would this be considered a "banked curve" problem? I may be stretching here...

tan [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = v2 / rg

Solve for r...

Then use that new r in

ac = v2 / r

?

Err...maybe not...

You have found the velocity at the equator.
But the velocity at the given point is not the same.
So find angular velocity ω, which remains the same everywhere.
Then αc = (ω^2)Rcosθ

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is caused by a force called the centripetal force.

2. How does centripetal acceleration affect two people at different latitudes on Earth?

Due to Earth's rotation, the centripetal acceleration experienced by an object varies depending on its latitude. As the distance from the axis of rotation decreases, the acceleration increases, so the person at the equator experiences a greater centripetal acceleration than someone at the poles.

3. Is centripetal acceleration the same as gravity?

No, centripetal acceleration and gravity are two different concepts. Centripetal acceleration is caused by a force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while gravity is a force of attraction between two objects with mass.

4. How is centripetal acceleration measured?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circular path. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include a car turning around a curve, a person on a merry-go-round, or a satellite orbiting around the Earth.