Centripetal acceleration along a latitude of Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an equation that is slightly different from the provided textbook solution. The individual is having trouble finding an algebra mistake and asks for help. The conversation also suggests using LaTex for clearer equations.
mncyapntsi
Homework Statement
An elephant is located on Earth’s surface at a latitude lambda Calculate the centripetal acceleration of the elephant resulting from the rotation of Earth around its polar axis. Express your answer in terms of lambda, the radius RE of Earth, and time T for one rotation of Earth. Compare your answer with g for lambda = 40º.
Relevant Equations
ac = v^2/r
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 12.58.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 12.58.52 PM.png

Hello,
I am attempting to correctly solve this problem, however I end up with an equation that is slightly different as the one provided in the textbook solution.
For question (a) I get the same thing, just instead of cos, I have cos^2 and I can't figure out where I went wrong. My process was to go from v = d/t where d = REcos(lambda)pi2, and t = T. Then ac=v^2/r=[(REcos^2(lambda)4pi^2] / T^2.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your rendering of your equations is a mess. I can't figure them out. Please use LaTex.

mncyapntsi said:
instead of cos, I have cos^2
maybe you forgot to divide by r?
Chestermiller said:
Your rendering of your equations is a mess. I can't figure them out. Please use LaTex.
Please follow Chet's advice. Help finding an algebra mistake is a big ask when the equations are written out as shown in your post.

mncyapntsi said:
Then ##a_c=v^2/r=[(RE\cos^2(\lambda)4\pi^2] / T^2##.
What did you substitute for r there? What is the radius of the elephant's rotation?

To convert to latex, all I did was insert \ in front of cos, lambda and pi; insert _ in ac; and put a double hash (##\#\###) fore and aft.

1. What is centripetal acceleration along a latitude of Earth?

Centripetal acceleration along a latitude of Earth refers to the acceleration experienced by an object as it moves along a circular path on the surface of the Earth. This acceleration is caused by the Earth's rotation and the object's distance from the Earth's axis.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated along a latitude of Earth?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration along a latitude of Earth is a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula applies to any object moving along a circular path, including those on the surface of the Earth.

3. Does centripetal acceleration change along different latitudes on Earth?

Yes, centripetal acceleration changes along different latitudes on Earth. This is because the radius of the Earth is larger at the equator and smaller at the poles. Therefore, an object at the equator will experience a larger centripetal acceleration than an object at the poles.

4. How does centripetal acceleration along a latitude affect objects on Earth?

Centripetal acceleration along a latitude affects objects on Earth by causing them to experience a force towards the center of the Earth. This force is responsible for keeping objects in circular motion and is also responsible for the Coriolis effect, which causes objects to appear to curve when viewed from a rotating reference frame.

5. Can centripetal acceleration along a latitude of Earth be felt by humans?

No, humans cannot feel centripetal acceleration along a latitude of Earth. This is because the force of gravity, which is much stronger, masks the effects of centripetal acceleration. However, astronauts in space can experience the effects of centripetal acceleration because they are in a microgravity environment where the force of gravity is weaker.