Centripetal Force: Inertial vs Non-Inertial Frame Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertial and non-inertial reference frames, using the example of a rotating frame and an inertial frame with a ball attached to a string. The question of how long it would take for the ball to reach the outer black circle if the string were to break is posed, and classical mechanics is used to derive the answer in both frames. While the inertial frame is easier to calculate, the non-inertial frame poses a more complex scenario due to the changing forces involved. The Coriolis force is also mentioned as a factor to consider. Ultimately, both frames should arrive at the same answer.
hover
Hello,

I've been thinking about inertial and non inertial reference frames. A common example is non rotating reference frame vs a rotating reference frame. As illustration, I have attached two images below. The left is the inertial frame and the right is the non inertial frame.

Inertial Stable.gif
Non Inertial Stable.png

Both images have the same objects in them and only differ by their frame of reference. Inside both frames there is a red ball that is attached to a black string which is connected to the center. In the inertial frame, the ball is being swung around the center as the string provides a centripetal force. In the non inertial frame, the ball "feels" a force pulling it away from the center.

Nothing too special so far. I then thought of asking the following question:

If the string were to break, how long would it take for the ball to reach the outer black circle?

Inertial Break.gif
Non Inertial Break.gif

Now classically, I know that both frames are going to arrive at the same answer. However, the fun comes from seeing how both frames try to arrive at that same answer. The easier of the two frames to deal with is the inertial frame since there are no forces present once the string breaks. Using the image below, I will derive the amount of time it takes:

Distances.png

Assuming that the ball is rotating around the center with an angular speed of [itex]\omega[/itex] and at a distance of [itex]r[/itex] from the center, the velocity of the ball when the string breaks is:

[itex]v = r\omega[/itex]

The distance the ball will travel before it reaches the black circle is [itex]L[/itex]. Now [itex]L[/itex] is a variable dependent on [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]r_0[/itex] (the radius of the circle). Using the Pythagorean Theorem:

[itex]r^2 + L^2 = r_0^2[/itex]
[itex]L^2 = r_0^2-r^2[/itex]
[itex]L = \sqrt{r_0^2-r^2}[/itex]

So now we can determine the amount of time it takes to be:

[itex]t_0 = \frac{L}{v} = \frac{\sqrt{r_0^2-r^2}}{r\omega}[/itex]

It's a pretty clean result.

Now is the more interesting but complex scenario. How does the non inertial frame go about calculating [itex]t_0[/itex]? I tried to think about it but it starts to get dicey:

[itex]F = m*r*\omega^2[/itex]
[itex]a = r*\omega^2[/itex]

The force pulling the ball down isn't a constant because it is dependent on [itex]r[/itex] which is always changing the second the string breaks. I'm not quite sure how to handle the non inertial problem at this point. I feel that maybe the problem could be answered by trying to setup a DE but I am too rusty on such things. The only thing I do know is that however the non inertial problem arrives at a time, it must equal the value of the inertial frame.

Interesting food for thought to say the least.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the Coriolis force.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, towards the center of the circle. It is necessary for an object to continuously change direction and maintain its circular motion.

2. What is the difference between an inertial and non-inertial frame?

In an inertial frame, Newton's laws of motion are valid and the frame is not accelerating. In a non-inertial frame, the frame is accelerating and Newton's laws of motion do not hold true.

3. How does centripetal force differ in an inertial and non-inertial frame?

In an inertial frame, centripetal force is the only force acting on the object and is necessary for its circular motion. In a non-inertial frame, an additional pseudo force, known as the centrifugal force, must be taken into account to explain the object's circular motion.

4. Can the centripetal force act in any direction?

No, the centripetal force must always act towards the center of the circle in which the object is moving. This is necessary for the object to maintain its circular motion.

5. How does the time in an inertial and non-inertial frame differ?

In an inertial frame, time is constant and does not change. In a non-inertial frame, time may appear to be changing due to the acceleration of the frame. This is known as time dilation and is a concept in the theory of relativity.