Centripetal Force Physics Lab Question

In summary, the person is trying to plot a graph of Radius vs. FT^2 and needs help with figuring out what the slope means. They found a link that explained what FT^2 is and how to calculate the centripetal force. They are not sure if the slope is F or FT^2/R, but if it is FT^2/R, then they would be able to find out what that means.
dystorsion
I need help with this lab I'm doing involving swinging a mass in a circle (I'm sure you guys have heard of it). I have to plot a graph of Radius vs. FT^2 and then compare the value of the slope to its theoretical value.

A couple questions:
Which goes on the y axis? Radius or FT^2?
How do I ascertain the theoretical value of the slope to compare to?

Thanks,
Dystorsion

Physics news on Phys.org
What is FT^2??

I have no clue. I'm just multiplying F with T^2.

I've done some research to help myself, though I still don't know what's going on. Here's the link I found, scroll down to the bottom for the tidbit on FT^2.

http://www.mysci.net/pages/physics1/Labs/centripetalforce.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok then. What are F and T^2. Sorry but I can't access links from where I am.

I see...the link already gives you what you need. You should already know that Net Force = ma and Net Centripetal Force = mv^2/r. v = 2(pi)r/T, in which T is time. Therefore, all that was done was that using these formulas and plugging in values, the Net Force = ma = mv^2/r = 4(pi)^2Rm/T^2. I don't think its FT^2, I think you're confusing it for just F.
---To answer the question about the axes, F goes on the y-axis and Radius goes on the x-axis; consider it as for you increase or decrease the radius, you'll retrieve another value for F.
---To explain about the situation with FT^2 being mistaken for F, is that
FT^2 = 4(pi)^2Rm, which I can't really identify (its not acceleration or the velocity). Using just F is the centripetal force, and you would graph whether F increases as the radius increases (the slope is I suppose deltaF/deltaT). Then again, I'm not exactly completely sure that this is the answer, its just I can not identify FT^2.
---If its any help...if it really is FT^2, then the slope should identify FT^2/R, in which it is equal to 4(pi)^2m; if you could find what that means, then you would be able to find out what the slope refers to.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the circular motion of the object.

How do you calculate centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F=mv²/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and velocity?

The centripetal force and velocity have a direct relationship. As the velocity increases, the centripetal force required to maintain the circular motion also increases. However, if the velocity remains constant, the centripetal force decreases as the radius of the circular path increases.

What equipment is needed for a centripetal force physics lab?

The equipment needed for a centripetal force physics lab includes a rotating platform or circular track, a hanging mass, a stopwatch or timer, a ruler or measuring tape, and a balance or scale to measure mass.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some real-life examples of centripetal force include a car making a turn, a satellite orbiting the Earth, a spinning top, and a roller coaster moving around a loop.