1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Force required to hold electron

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron ( m = 9.11 * 10^-31 kg) moves in a circular orbit of radius 0.4 * 10^-10 m with an angular velocity of 2* 10^16 rad/s. Find the centripetal force required to hold the electron.

2. Relevant equations

This is one question from the chapter " Forces Due to Magnetic Fields and Electric Fields.

3. The attempt at a solution

When I look at this question, I felt kind of weird. Because it is asking me the centripetal force required to hold the electron. But this chapter is about the force done by magnetic fields and electric field on a particle. But the question gave me all values to calculate the centripetal force, and I feel like nothing related to this chapter.

Even though I am confused, I tried to calculate it.

angular velocity: w , v = velocity , r = radius, Fc = centripetal force, m = mass of electron

w = v / r
    v = w * r
    = ( 2 * 10^16) * (0.4 * 10^-10)
    = 800000 m/s

Fc = (m* v^2)/r
    = ((9.11 * 10^-31) * (800000)^2 ) / (0.4*10^-10)
    = 1.4576 * 10^-8

Please guide me to the correct way , or am I correct?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook