Centripetal Force through Turns

In summary: The dynamic friction as the car rotates along the circle should equal the driving motor force ( in opposite direction ) for tangential acceleration to be zero.
RiskX
Hi,

I face some difficulties trying to solve the following problem:

"You’re sitting in the passenger seat of the car, approaching
a tight turn with a 10.0-meter radius. You know that the coefficient of static
friction is 0.8 on this road (you use the coefficient of static
friction because the tires aren’t slipping on the road’s surface) and that the
car has a mass of about 1,000 kg. What’s the maximum speed the driver can
go and still keep you safe?"

I didn't understand why we use the coefficient of static fricftion if the car is already on a run... Is that beacuse the surface has changed from a stright plane to a curved one?

Physics news on Phys.org
RiskX said:
Hi,

I face some difficulties trying to solve the following problem:

"You’re sitting in the passenger seat of the car, approaching
a tight turn with a 10.0-meter radius. You know that the coefficient of static
friction is 0.8 on this road (you use the coefficient of static
friction because the tires aren’t slipping on the road’s surface) and that the
car has a mass of about 1,000 kg. What’s the maximum speed the driver can
go and still keep you safe?"

I didn't understand why we use the coefficient of static fricftion if the car is already on a run... Is that beacuse the surface has changed from a stright plane to a curved one?

Because it is that friction force that keeps the car in circular motion.

RiskX said:

I am not sure but I guess you mean why use the static coeficient instead of the dynamic.

Note that the wheels are spining and in fact their surface is statically adhered to the road surface. Only if the car looses grip (for example going too fast in the turn) and starts to slide the coeficient changes.

gonzacf said:
I am not sure but I guess you mean why use the static coeficient instead of the dynamic.

Note that the wheels are spining and in fact their surface is statically adhered to the road surface. Only if the car looses grip (for example going too fast in the turn) and starts to slide the coeficient changes.

The dynamic friction as the car rotates along the circle should equal the driving motor force ( in opposite direction ) for tangential acceleration to be zero.

So that uniform circular motion criteria are met.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I can understand your confusion with using the coefficient of static friction in this scenario. Let me explain why it is necessary to consider it in this situation.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the coefficient of static friction is a measure of the maximum frictional force that can be exerted between two surfaces in contact without causing them to slip. In the case of a car turning, the tires are in contact with the road's surface and the friction between them is what allows the car to turn without slipping off the road.

Now, coming to your specific question, the car is approaching a tight turn with a 10.0-meter radius. This means that the car will have to undergo a change in its direction of motion, which requires a centripetal force to be exerted towards the center of the turn. In this case, the frictional force between the tires and the road's surface is what provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the car on the road and prevent it from sliding off.

The coefficient of static friction is used to calculate the maximum frictional force that can be exerted between the tires and the road's surface. This, in turn, helps us determine the maximum speed at which the car can safely turn without slipping off the road. If the car were to exceed this speed, the frictional force would not be sufficient to provide the necessary centripetal force, and the car would slide off the road.

So, to answer your question, we use the coefficient of static friction in this scenario because it helps us determine the maximum safe speed for the car to turn without slipping off the road. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your doubts. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is centripetal force through turns?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of turns, centripetal force is the force that is directed towards the center of the turn and acts to keep the object moving along the curved path.

What factors affect the amount of centripetal force through turns?

The amount of centripetal force through turns is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the turn. The greater the mass and speed of the object, or the tighter the turn, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the object moving along the curved path.

How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the turn. Alternatively, centripetal force can also be calculated using the formula F = mrω², where ω is the angular velocity of the object.

What happens if there is not enough centripetal force through a turn?

If there is not enough centripetal force to keep an object moving in a turn, the object will deviate from its curved path and continue moving in a straight line. This is known as centrifugal force, which is the outward force that is felt due to the object's inertia.

How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a turn, while centrifugal force is the outward force that is felt due to the object's inertia. Centripetal force is necessary to keep an object moving along a curved path, while centrifugal force is only felt when there is not enough centripetal force to keep the object in the turn.