1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I draw a FBD for centripetal force

1. Dec 6, 2017 #1
    • Moved from technical forum so no template
    The question
    Sometimes road surfaces have banked curves, use a FBD to explain how it helps cars make turns more safely

My trial:

I drew this FBD (attached below)

Image1512568486.090307.jpg

And I think it helps make driving more safe because the Fn acting on the car is pointed more towards the middle of the curve, which acts as a centripetal force. Which like in space, where centripetal force acts as your gravity, the centripetal force will cause the car to stick to the road and not slip as much

Does this sound correct? How can I elaborate more?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2017 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track. What other forces might be involved?

That's good.

In order to turn, you need some centripetal force. Without banking, what force are you relying on?

4. Dec 6, 2017 #3
    Friction is not always reliable at circular turn if high speed and sharp turns are involved.To aviod dependence on friction, the roads are banked at the turn so that the outer part of the road is somewhat lifted up as compared to inner part.The surface of the road makes an angle θ with the horizontal throughout the turn.The normal force Fn makes an angle θ with vertical. At correct speed,the horizontal component of Fn is sufficient to produce the centripetal acceleration
    Fnsinθ=mv^2/r
    Fncosθ=mg
    From these two
    tanθ=v^2/rg
    The angle θ depends on v as well as r.roads are banked for average expected speed.if the speed of particular vehicle is little more than that the correct speed, the self adjustable static friction operates between the tyres and road and the vehicle doest not skid or slip.

5. Dec 6, 2017 #4
    To turn, would you just be relying on the friction of the tires? If there was no banking

6. Dec 6, 2017 #5
    Okay, so when you go faster, the more grip (or static friction) you have on the road?

7. Dec 6, 2017 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Exactly.

Yes. Static friction will increase as needed to prevent slipping -- up to its maximum for the given surfaces.

8. Dec 6, 2017 #7
    Upto a certain maximum speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted