Centripetal force while a car makes a turn

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving a problem with given data, and suggests possible solutions involving centripetal and frictional forces. The conversation also touches on finding tangential velocity and determining the radius of a circular path, with a reminder to be careful with rounding errors.
greenrichy
Homework Statement
A pair of fuzzy dice is hanging by a string from the rearview window. While making a right turn at 60 mph, the fuzzy dice makes an angle of 23 degrees from the vertical.
(1) Determine the radius of the circular path of the fuzzy dice.
(2) What is the mechanical force acting as the centripetal force on the following entities:
(a) - The fuzzy dice
(b) - The car
(c) - The driver
Relevant Equations
None
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is not possible to solve (1) with all the data that's given.

As for (2), I have come up with the following solutions:
(a) - The tension in the string acts as the centripetal force on the fuzzy dice
(b) - The frictional force between the road and the car
(c) - None?

Physics news on Phys.org
greenrichy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is not possible to solve (1) with all the data that's given.

It is. Start with a free body diagram. Write some equations. Some things cancel.

Likes greenrichy
greenrichy said:
As for (2), I have come up with the following solutions:
(a) - The tension in the string acts as the centripetal force on the fuzzy dice
(b) - The frictional force between the road and the car
(c) - None?

(a) I would say it's the horizontal component of the string tension.
(b) Correct
(c) Are you sure? Does the driver move in a straight line?

Likes greenrichy
CWatters said:
It is. Start with a free body diagram. Write some equations. Some things cancel.
Thanks for your reply. From a free body diagram of FD (Fuzzy dice), I know that we can find the centripetal acceleration, right? But how do I find the tangential velocity?

Last edited:
greenrichy said:
how do I find the tangential velocity?
How is the velocity you are given not the tangential velocity?

haruspex said:
How is the velocity you are given not the tangential velocity?
So the tangential velocity with which the dice swing is the same as the car's velocity?

greenrichy said:
So the tangential velocity with which the dice swing is the same as the car's velocity?
Depending exactly on where the dice are laterally within the car and how long the string is, the two speeds are unlikely to be exactly the same, but near enough. It is clear you are expected to take them as the same, but well spotted that they need not be.

Likes greenrichy
haruspex said:
Depending exactly on where the dice are laterally within the car and how long the string is, the two speeds are unlikely to be exactly the same, but near enough. It is clear you are expected to take them as the same, but well spotted that they need not be.
So I found that the centripetal acceleration is equal to 4.2 m/s^2. Given all the data that I have, the radius of the circular path of the dice turns out to be 171.3 meters. I calculated it using this formula --> a = v^2/r.

Does it look right?

greenrichy said:
So I found that the centripetal acceleration is equal to 4.2 m/s^2. Given all the data that I have, the radius of the circular path of the dice turns out to be 171.3 meters. I calculated it using this formula --> a = v^2/r.

Does it look right?
That’s about right. I get slightly more. Did you plug in the acceleration as exactly 4.2? That would introduce a rounding error... better to do the entire calculation in your calculator with no intermediate rounding.
Anyway, you are quoting too many sig figs given the input data.

Likes greenrichy
haruspex said:
That’s about right. I get slightly more. Did you plug in the acceleration as exactly 4.2? That would introduce a rounding error... better to do the entire calculation in your calculator with no intermediate rounding.
Anyway, you are quoting too many sig figs given the input data.
Got it, that makes sense. Thank you for your help.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directing it towards the center of the circle.

2. Why is centripetal force important while a car makes a turn?

Centripetal force is important while a car makes a turn because it allows the car to change direction and maintain its circular path without sliding or skidding.

3. How does the centripetal force affect the car's speed while turning?

The centripetal force affects the car's speed by constantly pulling it towards the center of the turn, allowing it to maintain a steady speed and not fly off the circular path.

4. What factors determine the amount of centripetal force needed for a car to make a turn?

The amount of centripetal force needed for a car to make a turn depends on the car's speed, the radius of the turn, and the mass of the car. The faster the car is going, the sharper the turn, or the heavier the car, the more centripetal force is needed.

5. Can a car make a turn without centripetal force?

No, a car cannot make a turn without centripetal force. Without it, the car would continue in a straight line and not be able to change direction or maintain a circular path.