Centripetal Velocity Calculation?

In summary, Kevin is looking for help calculating the exit speed of an object dropped into a spinning container with a radius of 120mm and a speed of 5000 rpm. He is building a machine for wear testing and is using a rock and water to impact a test specimen. The details of the mechanism are not provided due to proprietary reasons. The final tangential and radial speeds will depend on the friction in the channel and there is a fixed relation between the two components.
Kevin B2
I am wondering if someone can show me how to calculate the exit speed of an object if it is dropped into a container which is spinning at 5000 rpm and has a radius of 120mm. Let us assume the object weighs one gram.
I am building a machine for wear testing. rock/water is supplied to the centre of a spinning rotor and is impacted upon a test specimen, mounted at the exit port.
Thank you for your time,
Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
This is impossible without many more details about the mechanism. How is the mass dropped into the container, how does it hit the container, how does it leave again, and so on.
If the container is heavy enough (compared to the dropped object), the speed won't depend on the mass of the object.

I cannot show the detail due to proprietary reasons but essentially this is what I am describing, a rock dropped into the center of a stainless steel channel, spinning at 5000 RPM;
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9-tYG8bqb8-6z8x6HuCUJBWsmZSGc5vHMBU-mH63KaIWY-6hQFXO-KylOch9CpssdgouIfY60JPtx7JOvGXP4sGKmyUYgohlFAhbg1XVF0bPblQkTkHi7Lg6vl0EHwR3vNcB32VWLhezY-VSRetPP7GtCU5CIAd_pKm6isw1gSbc-CTeGrel3eq-hyYW1dJbzCB5S3lat4NlLaCT8tGNEF4Wyq-E7AkKuU4gyiFgB1Y2uOxUOtrmHo6DlI4crajlM-ZzgNicCiM-7xG2_8kEdaFEMUCz7uYanyiDGNkdgJK-GbbHOzFw0dTMEIr1ew7IYUcpRMcZ1NnJoH4JDLoUQ8EbtZR8T6gzE_mXdtCh-RgSf4-MNwnt5WBLrzdLbOTpv2tWK2pKXD5yBPbiKxSNEp__Bn_rmsMmGrtaT0SHRYRLX24tldTIX5YVQVwSTkSA9sfXQ3CPxcvI_8j-lwYSJrDKCpzyP1GltqN1WDwzc3MO_EgdI8uECouiOkY6n8-KACE9U3cHH6fP-t7BqkiuWk1xnC707hfZcxkVc23cg76_F6Lw3ZSBSrDY1s7EuhhzhKk=w699-h646-no

Thanks again,

Kevin B2 said:
I cannot show the detail due to proprietary reasons but essentially this is what I am describing, a rock dropped into the center of a stainless steel channel, spinning at 5000 RPM;
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9-tYG8bqb8-6z8x6HuCUJBWsmZSGc5vHMBU-mH63KaIWY-6hQFXO-KylOch9CpssdgouIfY60JPtx7JOvGXP4sGKmyUYgohlFAhbg1XVF0bPblQkTkHi7Lg6vl0EHwR3vNcB32VWLhezY-VSRetPP7GtCU5CIAd_pKm6isw1gSbc-CTeGrel3eq-hyYW1dJbzCB5S3lat4NlLaCT8tGNEF4Wyq-E7AkKuU4gyiFgB1Y2uOxUOtrmHo6DlI4crajlM-ZzgNicCiM-7xG2_8kEdaFEMUCz7uYanyiDGNkdgJK-GbbHOzFw0dTMEIr1ew7IYUcpRMcZ1NnJoH4JDLoUQ8EbtZR8T6gzE_mXdtCh-RgSf4-MNwnt5WBLrzdLbOTpv2tWK2pKXD5yBPbiKxSNEp__Bn_rmsMmGrtaT0SHRYRLX24tldTIX5YVQVwSTkSA9sfXQ3CPxcvI_8j-lwYSJrDKCpzyP1GltqN1WDwzc3MO_EgdI8uECouiOkY6n8-KACE9U3cHH6fP-t7BqkiuWk1xnC707hfZcxkVc23cg76_F6Lw3ZSBSrDY1s7EuhhzhKk=w699-h646-no

Thanks again,

The final tangential speed is the speed of the channel ends. The final radial speed will depend on friction in the channel, but ignoring that, you would just integrate the centrifugal acceleration in the rotating frame.

A.T. said:
The final tangential speed is the speed of the channel ends. The final radial speed will depend on friction in the channel, but ignoring that, you would just integrate the centrifugal acceleration in the rotating frame.
Ignoring friction, there is an interesting fixed relation between the two speed components.

Thank you for your insight.

What is centripetal velocity?

Centripetal velocity is the velocity of an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal velocity calculated?

Centripetal velocity can be calculated using the formula: v = (2πr)/T, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the circle, and T is the time it takes for one full rotation.

What units are used to measure centripetal velocity?

Centripetal velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Can centripetal velocity be negative?

Yes, centripetal velocity can be negative if the object is moving in a circular path in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

What factors affect centripetal velocity?

Centripetal velocity is affected by the radius of the circular path, the speed of the object, and the centripetal force acting on the object. Any changes in these factors will result in a change in the centripetal velocity.