Certificate program in IC design or Master's in IC design?

In summary, the physicist1985 is considering attending either the certificate program in IC design from UC Berkeley Extension or the Master of Advanced Study in IC at Berkeley Online. The pros and cons of each program are listed below. The cheaper option, the certificate program, is faster but less prestigious. The more expensive option, the MASIC, is more prestigious but may require a longer time to finish. It is unclear whether the certificate program will be adequate for the physicist1985's goals, and access to software relevant to industry may not be available through the program.
physicist1985
Hello everyone,

I have a BS in EE and a BS in physics and I am wrapping up my MSE in electrical engineering from a large university in the southwest. My MSE concentration is semiconductor devices. I don't know anything about IC design really, but I would like to somehow break into the field. I figure the best way would be to get some education in the area. I am considering either the certificate program in IC design from UC Berkeley Extension or the Master of Advanced Study in IC at Berkeley Online. The pros and cons I can see are below.

Certificate-

Pros: Much cheaper (~3700 dollars), faster completion time, (~1.5-2 years or 150 hours of instruction time plus assignments and some proctored exams)
Cons: Less prestigious and probably less rigorous. I am guessing it will use a watered down layout package but I don't know for sure.

Masters-

Pros: Much more prestigious and I will probably get a much more thorough education, probably access to better software (Cadence)
Cons: It is almost exactly 15 times the cost (55,000 dollars), will take longer most likely.

It is clear to me which one is "better" but will the certificate be adequate to break into the field or do I really need the MASIC? Is the MASIC worth 15 times the cost? Keep in mind I nearly already have a masters in a related area (semiconductors device physics) and will finish that in a couple semesters.

Also, those that might have second hand or first hand knowledge or the certificate program (and the masters), do they give access to software packages that are relevant to industry, such as cadence?

Thanks everyone in advance for your insight.

Regards,

Physicist1985

Physics news on Phys.org
64 views and no replies? I guess nobody has any experience with these programs?

My servants! Attend me!

You are asking people for a favor. You don't have a right to demand an answer, much less demand it in less than 24 hours. You might want to think about adopting a tone more in line with asking a favor.

Vanadium 50 said:
My servants! Attend me!

You are asking people for a favor. You don't have a right to demand an answer, much less demand it in less than 24 hours. You might want to think about adopting a tone more in line with asking a favor.

Vanadium,

I apologize if I came across as demanding. It was not my intent to demand anything. I am just curious that nobody here has heard of or has any experience with these programs, hence the comment "I guess nobody has any experience with these programs"...maybe they are not as sought after as I suspected.

That's the problem with forums. You can't really extract information about a person's "tone". I typed that in the friendliest tone possible.

1. What is the difference between a Certificate program and a Master's program in IC design?

A Certificate program in IC design typically focuses on providing students with fundamental knowledge and skills in the field of integrated circuit (IC) design, with a shorter duration and less comprehensive curriculum compared to a Master's program. On the other hand, a Master's program in IC design offers a more in-depth and advanced understanding of IC design, often including research opportunities and a thesis or project component.

2. What are the prerequisites for enrolling in a Certificate program or a Master's program in IC design?

The prerequisites for both programs may vary depending on the institution, but generally, a strong background in electrical engineering or a related field is required. Some programs may also require coursework in specific topics such as digital design, analog circuits, and computer architecture.

3. Can I pursue a career in IC design with just a Certificate program, or is a Master's degree necessary?

A Certificate program in IC design can provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills to enter the field of IC design as an entry-level engineer or technician. However, a Master's degree can offer more advanced and specialized training, making graduates more competitive for higher-level positions and research opportunities in the industry.

4. Are there any online options for obtaining a Certificate or Master's degree in IC design?

Yes, there are online programs available for both Certificate and Master's degrees in IC design. However, it is essential to carefully research and consider the program's accreditation and reputation before enrolling to ensure a quality education.

5. What job opportunities are available for graduates of a Certificate or Master's program in IC design?

Graduates of a Certificate or Master's program in IC design can pursue careers as IC design engineers, IC layout designers, verification engineers, and many other roles in the semiconductor industry. They can also work in related fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and computer hardware design.