Certifying Knowledge of Statistics

In summary, the individual is seeking ways to provide evidence of their competence in statistics without having an official degree. They mention the option of taking the AP test in Statistics, but also inquire about other certification programs. The conversation also mentions the American Society of Quality (ASQ) as a potential organization to obtain certifications in statistics through continuing education courses or meeting their requirements. The individual also mentions the challenges of finding reliable information through a Google search.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, just curious, I have taught myself a good chunk of statistics , up to non-parametric methods, but
I don't have any official proof of it, i.e., I don't have a degree on it I could use to convince a potential employer.
I know in other areas one may use, e.g., the GRE to show one's competence when one does not have a degree. The only thing I can think of is taking the AP test in Statistics. Would that be good-enough evidence ( of course, assuming I get a good grade) to an employer of my competence in statistics? Is there some other way of certifying this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Greg, sorry if I was kind of lazy there.

You can look at the organization of ASQ (American Society of Quality). Quality Control thrives on statistical analysis. You will need to meet their requirements of certification, but a Green Belt (entry level QC control certification) is probably easy for you to get. You may qualify for higher certification as well. Google is your friend...

Well, yes, there are many points re a Google search: results are different for different people. And there is a lot of garbage ; I ask because you can get 1,000,000s of hits and no good idea which are true/meaningful/reasonable.

1. What is "Certifying Knowledge of Statistics"?

"Certifying Knowledge of Statistics" is a process of verifying an individual's understanding and proficiency in statistics. It typically involves taking a standardized exam or completing a course and receiving a certificate or other form of recognition.

2. Why is it important to have a certification in statistics?

A certification in statistics demonstrates that an individual has a solid understanding of statistical concepts and methods. This can be beneficial for career advancement, as many jobs and industries require a strong understanding of statistics. It also provides credibility and enhances the individual's professional reputation.

3. How can one prepare for a certification in statistics?

One can prepare for a certification in statistics by taking courses, reviewing material, and practicing with sample questions. Many organizations also offer study guides and resources to help individuals prepare for the exam.

4. Is there a specific certification exam for statistics?

There are several organizations that offer certification exams for statistics, such as the American Statistical Association and the Society of Actuaries. These exams typically cover a range of statistical topics and may have different levels of certification for different levels of proficiency.

5. How long does it take to become certified in statistics?

The time it takes to become certified in statistics depends on the individual's level of knowledge and the specific certification they are pursuing. It can range from a few months to several years, depending on the amount of preparation and study time put in by the individual.