Statistics Project for Employers

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to demonstrate skills and experience in statistics, specifically for employment purposes. Suggestions include contributing to open source projects or creating personal projects, similar to how programmers can showcase their abilities. Other options include volunteering for research positions or pursuing certification in a related field, such as Six Sigma or Reliability Engineering. Another suggestion is participating in Kaggle competitions, which provide opportunities to work on real-world statistical problems.
Hi All,

I know that to prove oneself to employers in programming, one can try to contribute to open source projects or just make e.g. your own game. Is there something analogous for statistics?

I am studying a mathematics and statistics honours degree part-time (I work) and by distance learning i.e. online, specially-written materials, face to face tutorials once a month or so etc. But there is no dissertation or project etc. it's all taught modules.

What can I do to show initiative in a real statistical project, even if quite small, that involves all the real-world stuff like specifying a question, designing an experiment, choosing an analysis etc. Are there things similar to open source projects in software?

I've considered volunteering for research positions for charities (I've seen adverts that need, essentially, market research statisticians to advise on strategy etc.) - but having never done anything statistical outside of textbook problems I'm loathe to step into a job unsupervised.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider trying to get a green belt in Six Sigma (or better, a real project and attempt a Black Belt). I had started down that path, but I could never get Project managers to turn over their data for me to analyze so I opted for certification in Reliability Engineering (didn't require a project, just documentation that I worked in QA/QC and investigated life cycle of equipment or similar types of analysis). I don't believe there are any requirements to present to test for a Green Belt from the ASQ (American Society of Quality).

How about Kaggle competitions?

Related to Statistics Project for Employers

1. What is the purpose of a statistics project for employers?

The purpose of a statistics project for employers is to analyze and present data in a meaningful way to help employers make informed decisions. This project can provide insights into employee performance, customer satisfaction, market trends, and other important factors that can impact a company's success.

2. What type of data is typically included in a statistics project for employers?

A statistics project for employers may include various types of data such as employee demographics, sales figures, customer feedback, financial data, and other relevant information. The type of data collected will depend on the specific goals and objectives of the project.

3. How is statistical analysis used in a project for employers?

Statistical analysis is used in a project for employers to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within the data. This analysis can help employers understand the significance of the data and make informed decisions based on the results.

4. What are some common challenges in conducting a statistics project for employers?

Some common challenges in conducting a statistics project for employers include obtaining accurate and reliable data, selecting appropriate statistical methods, and interpreting the results in a meaningful way. It is important to have a clear understanding of the project goals and to carefully plan and execute the project to overcome these challenges.

5. How can a statistics project benefit employers?

A statistics project can benefit employers in several ways. It can provide valuable insights into the performance of employees, the satisfaction of customers, and the overall success of the company. It can also help identify areas for improvement and inform decision-making processes. Additionally, a well-executed statistics project can improve the credibility and reputation of the company.