Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain Rule and Multivariable Calculus Question

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    I think i found the solution to my problem but i was hoping to have someone check to make sure i did not make a mistake.

[itex]\xi[/itex] = x - ct........................ (1)

u(t,x) = v(t,[itex]\xi[/itex])...............................(2)

Taking the derivative

d[u(t,x) = v(t,[itex]\xi[/itex])]

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex] d[itex]\xi[/itex].........................(3)

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex][ [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}[/itex]dt]........................(4)

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}[/itex]dt.........................(5)

Question 1
    Is it legal to cancel out partial fractions as such

[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}[/itex]dt = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex] dt

Question 2
    Is it legal to group like terms to get two separate equations as such:

Using (1) to get [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}[/itex] = 1 and [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}[/itex] = -c we obtain

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial\xi}[/itex]dx - c[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex] dt

simplifying slightly

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex] - c[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex]]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial\xi}[/itex]dx

From this can we conclude the following:

A) [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex] - c[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex]

B) [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial\xi}[/itex]

by matching parameters in front of dt and dx?

Thank you for any insight

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    I seems like what you're doing is not taking the derivative but calculating the differential of the maps v and u.
    In that case if you have coordinates (t,x) and (t,ξ) which are both valid coordinates for the plane. than since u(t,x)=v(t,ξ) all that has happened there is dat you´ve changed coordinates to get from a map u to a map v.

then most of the things you did are correct the grouping i scertainly allowed. since you're basically writing everything in two local frames and equating coefficients.

but bear in mind that ∂/∂ξ = ∂x/∂ξ*∂/∂x + ∂t/∂ξ*∂/∂t

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook