1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenging Physics Question (Mass moment of inertia, pendulum)

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    Hello, as you can tell by the hour I have been at this problem for quite some time now.
    I am trying to find the mass moment of inertia (rotational inertia) of a baseball bat; by means of using the equations for pendular motion. Here are the equations:

Distance from pendulum pivot to pendulum center of gravity:
    Lcg=1.144 meter
    Mass of pendulum:
    m=0.840 kilogram
    Time Period of pendulum:
    T=2.1 seconds
    Angular speed of pendulum (calculated from period):
    w=2.99 radian/second
    g=9.81 meters/second^2
    Mass moment of inertia about pendulum pivot:
    Io=what the equations solve (kilogram*meter^2)

The equation is:
    or equivalently

for this I get, everytime, Io=1.05 (kilogram*meter^2)

The trouble is coming though
    Icg=mass moment of inertia about pendulum's center of gravity
    parrallel axis theorem:
    which becomes:

which spits out: Icg= -0.045 (kilogram*meter^2)

Thats right... a negative number. That violates intuition and the laws of physics for a physical solid. How did I break physics?

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Does it have to be by this means? If yes, I think it may be related to the 'breaking physics' part you mentioned later.
  4. Dec 1, 2005 #3
    I have to solve the problem using the equations for pendular motion. I checked all my formulas with textbooks and the internet, and all my equations and values seem to line up...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?