Change a variable to transform a series into a power series

In summary, a power series is a series of the form: a0 + a1x + a2x^2 ... + ... The series converges for certain values of y when substituted into the equation for the general term.
whitejac

Homework Statement

The following series are not power series, but you can transform each one into a power
series by a change of variable and so find out where it converges.

0 ((3n(n+1)) / (x+1)n

Homework Equations

a power series is a series of the form:

a0 + a1x + a2x^2 ... + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

What exactly does it mean by transforming a power series by changing a variable? the only thing I could look up and find was converting to another coordinate plane in calculus 3 which would be further along than this problem focuses on... but i am still confused as i can't see how a series can be in a separate plane like that

Physics news on Phys.org
Introduce a new variable ##y## as a function of ##x##, such that if you write your series in terms of ##y## it takes the form of a power series. Then determine for which values of ##y## that power series converges. Finally, translate these values back to values of ##x##.

Let me see if i understand this then...

Let Y = Y(x),
Where Y(x) = 1 / (x - 1)

Then we would have:

3n(n+1) / ( 1/ (x -1 +1)n)
= 3n(n+1) (x)n

this would in turn be a power series, yes?

whitejac said:
Let me see if i understand this then...

Let Y = Y(x),
Where Y(x) = 1 / (x - 1)
No, this isn't the substitution. There is another that should be much more obvious.
whitejac said:
Then we would have:

3n(n+1) / ( 1/ (x -1 +1)n)
= 3n(n+1) (x)n

this would in turn be a power series, yes?
You have a series whose general term is ##3^n(n + 1) \cdot \frac 1 {(x + 1)^n}##. You'd like to end up with ##3^n(n + 1) \cdot y^n##. What's the most obvious substitution to make?

how is mine not obvious enough? It removes the added 1 and puts y back in the numerator.

Sorry, I meant for my original definition of y to be:
x = 1/y -1
then you would have the relationship I intended to have:

Mark44 said:
3n(n+1)⋅yn

whitejac said:
x = 1/y -1
That works, but why not write it as ##y = \frac 1 {x + 1}##?
Then ##y^n = \frac 1 {(x + 1)^n}##

So, essentially, my answer could work but you could also simply say "Let y = all of the business that makes this difficult"?

whitejac said:
So, essentially, my answer could work but you could also simply say "Let y = all of the business that makes this difficult"?
No, not really.

whitejac said:
x = 1/y -1
When you define something (in this case, y), you generally start it with "Let y = <whatever> ". What you wrote is the inverse of the function that defines y.

Likes whitejac
Mark44 said:
No, not really.

When you define something (in this case, y), you generally start it with "Let y = <whatever> ". What you wrote is the inverse of the function that defines y.

Yeah, I noticed that. I guess it makes sense. Thank you!

1. What is a variable in a power series?

A variable in a power series is a quantity that can take on different values and is used to represent different terms in the series. It is typically denoted by a letter and can be manipulated to transform the series into different forms.

2. How do you change a variable to transform a series into a power series?

To change a variable in a series, you can use algebraic manipulations such as substitution or rearranging terms. By changing the variable, you can apply different mathematical techniques to transform the series into a power series, which can be used for various calculations and approximations.

3. What are the benefits of transforming a series into a power series?

Transforming a series into a power series allows for easier calculation and approximation of the function represented by the series. Power series have a simpler form and can be evaluated using known formulas, making them useful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. Can any series be transformed into a power series?

No, not all series can be transformed into a power series. The series must have a specific mathematical form and certain properties in order for it to be transformed into a power series. Additionally, the transformation may not always result in a power series that converges to the original series.

5. What are some common uses of power series in science?

Power series are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to approximate functions and solve differential equations. They are also used in mathematical modeling and analysis, as well as in computer science and data analysis.