1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change a variable to transform a series into a power series

1. Sep 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following series are not power series, but you can transform each one into a power
    series by a change of variable and so find out where it converges.

0 ((3n(n+1)) / (x+1)n

2. Relevant equations

a power series is a series of the form:

a0 + a1x + a2x^2 .... + ...

3. The attempt at a solution

What exactly does it mean by transforming a power series by changing a variable? the only thing I could look up and find was converting to another coordinate plane in calculus 3 which would be further along than this problem focuses on... but i am still confused as i can't see how a series can be in a separate plane like that

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Introduce a new variable ##y## as a function of ##x##, such that if you write your series in terms of ##y## it takes the form of a power series. Then determine for which values of ##y## that power series converges. Finally, translate these values back to values of ##x##.

4. Sep 5, 2016 #3
    Let me see if i understand this then...

Let Y = Y(x),
    Where Y(x) = 1 / (x - 1)

Then we would have:

3n(n+1) / ( 1/ (x -1 +1)n)
    = 3n(n+1) (x)n

this would in turn be a power series, yes?

5. Sep 5, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, this isn't the substitution. There is another that should be much more obvious.
    You have a series whose general term is ##3^n(n + 1) \cdot \frac 1 {(x + 1)^n}##. You'd like to end up with ##3^n(n + 1) \cdot y^n##. What's the most obvious substitution to make?

6. Sep 5, 2016 #5
    how is mine not obvious enough? It removes the added 1 and puts y back in the numerator.

7. Sep 5, 2016 #6
    Sorry, I meant for my original definition of y to be:
    x = 1/y -1
    then you would have the relationship I intended to have:

8. Sep 5, 2016 #7

Mark44

That works, but why not write it as ##y = \frac 1 {x + 1}##?
    Then ##y^n = \frac 1 {(x + 1)^n}##

9. Sep 5, 2016 #8
    So, essentially, my answer could work but you could also simply say "Let y = all of the business that makes this difficult"?

10. Sep 5, 2016 #9

Mark44

No, not really.

When you define something (in this case, y), you generally start it with "Let y = <whatever> ". What you wrote is the inverse of the function that defines y.

11. Sep 5, 2016 #10
    Yeah, I noticed that. I guess it makes sense. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted