Possible Values of x for Convergence of Power Series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Fernando Rios
Messages
96
Reaction score
10
Homework Statement
The following series are not power series, but you can transform each one into a power
series by a change of variable and so find out where it converges.
Relevant Equations
Σ((√(x^2+1))^n 2^n/(3^n+n^3))
We transform the series into a power series by a change of variable:
y = √(x2+1)

We have the following after substituting:
∑(2nyn/(3n+n3))

We use the ratio test:
ρn = |(2n+1yn+1/(3n+1+(n+1)3)/(2nyn/(3n+n3)| = |(3n+n3)2y/(3n+1+(n+1)3)|

ρ = |(3∞+∞3)2y/(3∞+1+(∞+1)3)| = |2y|

|2y| < 1

|y| = 1/2

-1/2 < y < 1/2

We find the possible values of "x":
-1/2 < √(x2+1) < 1/2

This inequality has no solution, so I conclude the series doesn't converge for any "x", but the book says the answer is |x| < √(5)/2. Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Fernando Rios said:
Homework Statement:: The following series are not power series, but you can transform each one into a power
series by a change of variable and so find out where it converges.
Relevant Equations:: Σ((√(x^2+1))^n 2^n/(3^n+n^3))

We transform the series into a power series by a change of variable:
y = √(x2+1)

We have the following after substituting:
∑(2nyn/(3n+n3))

We use the ratio test:
ρn = |(2n+1yn+1/(3n+1+(n+1)3)/(2nyn/(3n+n3)| = |(3n+n3)2y/(3n+1+(n+1)3)|

ρ = |(3∞+∞3)2y/(3∞+1+(∞+1)3)| = |2y|
No. You should never substitute ##\infty## into an arithmetic expression.

BTW, I get a limit of ##\frac 2 3 |y|##.
Fernando Rios said:
|2y| < 1

|y| = 1/2
-1/2 < y < 1/2
Aside from the error I mentioned above, in your substitution, y will always be nonnegative, since ##y = \sqrt{x^2 + 1}##.
Fernando Rios said:
We find the possible values of "x":
-1/2 < √(x2+1) < 1/2

This inequality has no solution, so I conclude the series doesn't converge for any "x", but the book says the answer is |x| < √(5)/2. Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong?
[/QUOTE]