Change in Classical Velocity of an Electron

In summary, the problem involves a copper nucleus at the origin and an electron initially 2 A away from the origin. The electron moved to 1A away from the origin and the question asks for the change in classical velocity of the electron. The equations used are PE = (kq1q2)/r and KE = 1/2mv^2, where PE is potential energy, KE is kinetic energy, k is Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. The solution involves finding the change in PE and using it to solve for the change in velocity.
merlinh

Homework Statement

Copper nucleus at origin and an electron initially 2 A away from origin. Electron moved to 1A away from origin. What is the change in classical velocity of the electron?

Homework Equations

PE= (kq1q2)/r
change in PE from distance of 2A = KE

The Attempt at a Solution

KE = 1/2mv^2
Change in PE =PE2-PE1=1/1-1/2= 1-1/2=1/2 J
KE=1/2m(v2-v1)^2=1/2 J
and solve for v2-v1?
I don't think I am understanding this right.

Physics news on Phys.org
merlinh said:

Homework Statement

Copper nucleus at origin and an electron initially 2 A away from origin. Electron moved to 1A away from origin. What is the change in classical velocity of the electron?

Homework Equations

PE= (kq1q2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

KE = 1/2mv^2
Change in PE =PE2-PE1=1/1-1/2= 1-1/2=1/2 J
KE=1/2m(v2-v1)^2=1/2 J
and solve for v2-v1?
I don't think I am understanding this right.
I assume that the electron is orbiting the nucleus, you can use a certain equation to find the force on the electron, and you know how many protons copper nucleus has. use this to find the velocites.

1. What is classical velocity of an electron?

The classical velocity of an electron is the speed at which the electron is traveling in a circular orbit around the nucleus of an atom, according to classical physics.

2. How does the classical velocity of an electron change?

The classical velocity of an electron can change when the electron is acted upon by an external force, such as an electric or magnetic field. It can also change when the electron transitions to a higher or lower energy level in an atom.

3. What factors affect the change in classical velocity of an electron?

The change in classical velocity of an electron can be affected by the strength and direction of the external force, as well as the energy level of the electron in the atom.

4. Can the classical velocity of an electron exceed the speed of light?

No, according to classical physics, the velocity of an electron cannot exceed the speed of light. This is one of the limitations of classical physics and is addressed by the theory of relativity.

5. Why is the classical velocity of an electron important?

The classical velocity of an electron is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and how they interact with external forces. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.