1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in Kinetic Energy of a moving charge

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge of +5.5 micro-Coulombs lies at x = -3.6 cm, y = 0 cm, a charge of +5.5 micro-Coulombs lies at x = +3.6 cm, y = 0 cm, a charge of +5.5 micro-Coulombs lies at x = 0 cm, y = +3.6 cm, and a charge of -5.5 micro-Coulombs lies at x = 0 cm, y = -3.6 cm. A charge of -6.5 micro-Coulombs moves from x = -3.6 cm, y = +3.6 cm to the x = -1.86 cm and y = +1.86 cm. What is the -6.5 micro-Coulomb charge's change in kinetic energy during this path? Answer in Joules.

2. Relevant equations
    Delta KE= - delta EPE
    EPE= q V
    V= Kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I need to find the V that the four charges on the axis produce, but I'm not sure what to use for r, or what to do after that.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Work in the rectangular coordinate system that you are given in the problem. The r values are just the hypoteneuses (sp?) of the x,y offsets for each charge. You are correct to calculate the PE initially and the PE finally to get the change in PE to then tell you the change in KE.

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    Ok based on what you told me, I've calculated the voltage within the rectangular system. I know that the new charge will be in that system, so how do I find the initial EPE and final EPE?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook