Change in magnitude and flux caused by a planet transiting a star

In summary, the dip in magnitudes and flux in the optical light curve caused by the planet in front of the star can be determined using the equation dF/F0 = (rp/rs)2, where rp is the planet radius and rs is the star radius. The distance between the star and the planet, which is 10pc in this scenario, does not have a significant effect on the change in flux. This can be demonstrated by calculating the angular sizes of the planet and star and comparing the results to the equation.
bambihaditcom

Homework Statement

Determine the dip in magnitudes and flux in the optical light curve caused by the planet in front of the star if the planet orbits at 0.1,1 and 5 AU:
The star is a solar type star and the mass of both the planet and star are known as are their radii:
The observer is 10pc away from the star

Homework Equations

dF/F0 = (rp/rs)2
rp = planet radius
rs = star radius

The Attempt at a Solution

using this equation the change in flux can be determined however I am unsure if the distance between the star and the planet will have any effect. My initial thought is no considering how much greater 10pc is than 1AU but I'm not confident. But if there is a relation I have been unable to find it. Thank you in advance;

Physics news on Phys.org
using this equation the change in flux can be determined however I am unsure if the distance between the star and the planet will have any effect. My initial thought is no considering how much greater 10pc is than 1AU but I'm not confident.

That's correct: because 10pc is so much greater than 1AU, the distance doesn't matter. To show that it doesn't, you can rigorously calculate the angular sizes of both the planet and the star, get the answer that way, and compare to the answer you get by using dF/F0 = (rp/rs)2.

1. How does a planet's size affect the change in magnitude and flux during a transit?

The size of a planet does not significantly affect the change in magnitude and flux during a transit. The change in magnitude and flux is primarily determined by the size and brightness of the star being transited.

2. What causes the change in magnitude and flux during a planet transit?

The change in magnitude and flux during a planet transit is caused by the planet passing in front of the star, blocking some of the star's light from reaching the observer. This results in a decrease in the apparent brightness of the star.

3. How does the distance between the planet and star affect the change in magnitude and flux?

The distance between the planet and star does not have a significant impact on the change in magnitude and flux during a transit. This is because the change in magnitude and flux is primarily determined by the relative sizes and distances between the planet, star, and observer.

4. Can the change in magnitude and flux caused by a planet transit be used to determine the size of the planet?

Yes, the change in magnitude and flux during a transit can be used to estimate the size of the planet. By measuring the amount of light blocked during the transit, scientists can calculate the size of the planet in relation to the star.

5. How can studying the change in magnitude and flux during a planet transit help us understand exoplanets?

Studying the change in magnitude and flux during a planet transit can provide valuable information about the properties of exoplanets, such as their size, distance from their star, and even their atmosphere. This data can help scientists better understand the diversity of exoplanets and potentially identify habitable worlds.