1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux that reaches a certain radius in a star

1. Nov 23, 2013 #1

ppy

I know the radiative flux travelling through the atmosphere of a star obeys the equation:

dF/dr=-opacity*F*density

If we have an isothermal atmosphere the density decreases with radius such that density is proportional to 1/r^2.

If the flux entering such an atmosphere from the core of the star at radius r0 is F0 show that the flux that reaches radius r is

F(r)=F0 *e^opacity*(r^-2 -r0^-2) where the opacity is a constant.

I do not understand i'm guessing I need to integrate the 1st order ODE but how can I do this when flux is on both sides of the equation and where does the exponential come from in the answer?

Help!!
    Thanks :) Note: for some reason the symbols tab is not working on my laptop

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2013 #2
    if you divide your first eqn by F and multiply by dr you get 1/F dF = - opacity * density dr

which gives 1/F dF α -opacity * 1/r^2 dr where α means proportional to, which since opacity is a constant you can write (i think)

1/F dF = -opacity * 1/r^2 dr

integral both sides to give ln(F/Fo)=-opacity [1/r0 - 1/r]

do exp of both sides

F = F0 exp (opacity (1/r - 1/r0))

not sure why it gives r^-2 , maybe ive done it wrong, im guessing thats where the exponential comes from anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted