1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in Pendulum's Period with temperature.

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    Hi! I have been racking my brain trying to solve the relationship between the effect of temperature increase and the change in period of a pendulum. I am suppose to prove a relationship, and am given that the relationship is

delta(P) = 1/2*alpha*Pinitial

where alpha is the coefficient of linear expansion with temperature.

We are given that we are dealing with a simple pendulum, so the period is equal to 2*pi*sqrt(L/g)

I know the pendulum length will change under change of temperature to alpha*L*delta(T), for a total new length of L+alpha*L*delta(T)

the change in period then I would guess is:

delta(P) = 2*pi*sqrt((L+alpha*L*delta(T)/g) - 2*pi*sqrt(L/g)

I have tried to simplify this a dozen different ways but I never seem to get the required end formula. I think I can pull out Pinital by dividing everything by 2*pi*sqrt(L/g) to get

delta(P) = Pinitial*(sqrt(1+alpha*delta(T))-1)

but am stuck after that.

thanks for any help!

p.s. is there a summary list for the symbol set this forum uses to generate symbols like pi, square roots etc?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That relationship isn't quite right. How can the change in period be independent of change in temperature? (A delta(T) is missing.)

You've got it. Hint: Approximate the answer using a binomial expansion.

The best way to write equations is using Latex: Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting
  4. Feb 16, 2007 #3
    Great! Thanks, how do to anything with that sqrt term was driving me nuts!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?