1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in water height of a wave pool

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    A 2.00 m deep swimming pool is equipped with a wave generator that sends sinusoidal waves across the pool. The equation which gives the water depth, h(x,t), some distance x from the wave generator at any time t is:
    h(x,t) = 2.00 m + H cos[ 2π [ t/(4.900 s) − x/(0.4000 m) ] − 5π/4 ]
    where H = 75.0 cm.

a. What is the change in water height, with respect to the mean water level, a distance 34.81 m from the wave generator at time t = 10.50 s.

b. How much time must elapse from the instant in part (a) until the water 34.81 m from the wave generator reaches its next maximum?

For a, have been trying to do the question and I'm using deltah = H cos[ 2π [ t/(4.900 s) − x/(0.4000 m) ] − 5π/4 ] but obviously its wrong cuz I'm getting the wrong answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should show details of your actual calculation attempt so that we can see what's going wrong (and it's possible that the "book" answer is incorrect -- it happens sometimes).

4. Aug 12, 2012 #3
    Oh, never mind. I was doing the right thing but I didn't know you had to set your calculator to radians. Thanks, anyway.
    Hmm, but I still don't know how to do the next bit. Do I have to use the equation again? It doesn't look like I can...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  5. Aug 12, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Ah. That'll do it, all right.

Cheers.

6. Aug 14, 2012 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually yes, you do use that same equation. What is the value of Δh at a maximum?

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook