Change of Career Path Between Undergrad and Grad School

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of applying to graduate school in a different field than one's undergraduate degree. The individual in question has a background in electrical engineering and physics and is interested in studying applied nuclear physics. It is suggested to contact the specific graduate departments for more information and it is noted that jumping between fields is common. Remedial coursework may be required if accepted into a program.
SinBin
Hello everyone,

I have a question on applying to graduate school to study a different field than one studied for their undergrad degree.

Specifically, I am due to graduate from a Boston area school with a combined electrical engineering / physics degree. I have an A/A- average, solid GRE scores, and rather diverse research experience (well, for a EE anyway...). The last time I took a chemistry class was high school AP chem. I can be more specific with my details if it helps.

I would like to study in the area of applied nuclear physics in grad school. In most places, this topic of study does not fall under physics, but under nuclear science or nuclear engineering. For example, at MIT, this field falls within the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering. At UC Berkeley, it is mostly covered by the nuclear engineering department, with the addition of a few researchers in their Department of Chemistry.

Is it feasible for me to make the jump from an EE/physics background to nuke eng. or chem? I feel like I would have better luck applying to a nuclear engineering department... Or do I need to look for something I find interesting, but is closer to home?

Thank you for any insight you may have into my conundrum.

SinBin

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your best bet would be to contact the graduate departments you're really interested in at this point, tell them what courses you're enrolled in and see what they say. In general it doesn't seem like the kind of improbable jump from say a BA in psychology to a PhD in astrophysics. Depending on the department and your qualifications, they may have you take one or two extra courses to catch up, once you're admitted.

Hey Choppy,

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely start asking around, and I am somewhat relieved to know I'm not the only one making such jumps.

SinBin

Take this with a grain of salt, but this and this would suggest that a background in the physical sciences and/or engineering is suitable for graduate studies in nuclear engineering, which corresponds to my anecdotal observations (my undergrad alma mater had a nuclear engineering program, and my impression is that Nuc. Eng. programs aren't *that* common relative to other engineering areas, and the graduate programs will generally take qualified applicants with backgrounds in physical sciences or other areas in engineering).

Of course, contacting the departments is certainly the best idea.

Jumping between fields is super common. People do it all the time, because most people don't have a lot of visibility of the world or experience when they make their first choice.

Given that you can get the target department to accept you, the only consequence is you will probably need some remedial coursework that will take some time.

Good luck!

Mike H and carlgrace, thank you for your replies. What I am hearing from the departments I have asked is in agreement with your observations. Unfortunately, my institution does not have a Nuc. Eng. department. Otherwise the thing to do would be to start the catching up now...

In any case, thanks again for sharing your experiences.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding to change my career path between undergraduate and graduate school?

When considering a change of career path, it is important to assess your interests, skills, and long-term goals. Research different career options and their job market demand, potential salary, and required education or training. It is also crucial to consider the time and financial commitments of pursuing a new career path.

2. How can I make a successful transition between undergraduate and graduate school in a different field?

The first step is to research and understand the requirements and expectations of your desired graduate program. You may need to take prerequisite courses or gain relevant experience in the new field. Networking with professionals in the field and seeking mentorship can also provide valuable insights and guidance. Additionally, highlighting transferable skills and experiences in your application can showcase your readiness for a career change.

3. Will changing my career path between undergraduate and graduate school affect my job prospects after graduation?

This depends on the specific career path and industry. Some fields may require a specific undergraduate degree, while others may value a diverse educational background. It is important to research the job market and talk to professionals in the field to understand the impact of a career change on your job prospects.

4. What resources are available to help me navigate a career change between undergraduate and graduate school?

Many universities have career centers that offer career counseling, job search assistance, and networking events. They may also have resources specifically for students transitioning between undergraduate and graduate school. Additionally, professional organizations and online communities can provide valuable support and resources for career changers.

5. Is it common to change career paths between undergraduate and graduate school?

It is becoming increasingly common for individuals to change their career paths between undergraduate and graduate school. This is often due to changing interests, the desire for better job prospects or higher salary, or the need to gain new skills for a specific industry or career. Ultimately, the decision to change career paths should be based on individual goals and interests.