Change of plans: from CS to Physics?

In summary, the speaker is a CS student from Brazil who is graduating soon but is unsure about their future plans in the field. They are considering switching to Physics, possibly in the form of an Engineering Physics degree, but are concerned about the challenges and potential starting over. The conversation also touches on the current and future job prospects in both fields.
counlin
Hey,
Some time ago I have posted a similar question here about my doubts on my CS course plan. I'm from Brazil, so this should be taken into account, as our university system is pretty messed up. I'm going to graduate this year from CS (need two more disciplines only). I have decided to get to the end, to at least have a sort of backup plan, or go on with it if I managed to like it very much. In fact, I have a very similar case of this guy here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/from-cs-a-msc-or-another-degree.878130/ but no one seemed to answer his/her question.[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/from-cs-a-msc-or-another-degree.878130/[/PLAIN]

The thing is, I don't think I like it enough. I wanted to go into academia, or research industry, thus I would go for a MSc and Phd, but I'm not sure I can go much further in CS. I'm working with a rather specific topic now (bioinformatics) which will probably be over soon with the coming of quantum computers.

Question: Is it too late to change to Physics (23 years old)? Would it be wise? Most people do the opposite way (Physics -> CS), and some of my classmates did that indeed.

Would perhaps Engineering Physics be a smarter choice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
counlin said:
Is it too late to change to Physics (23 years old)?
Of course not. You're only 23. You would probably have to start over though. Depending on the route you choose you would likely get some credit for the courses you have already taken, but this depends on the school you're in.

Would it be wise?
That depends on you. If you're not happy with what you're doing right now, then getting out is probably a good idea. For the record, I suspect that bioinformatics is going to continue to be a big/hot area for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't worry about it being replaced by quantum computing.
You also have to go into an academic field like physics with your eyes wide open. The odds that you'll end up with a permanent job in academia are low. But you can still get a lot out of a physics degree. You can still get involved in research.

counlin said:
Would perhaps Engineering Physics be a smarter choice?
The best of both worlds. Yes and no. The advantage is that these are usually professional degrees and you're more competitive for engineering positons when you graduate. The disadvantage is that you tend to get spread thin - but this depends on the program.

1. Can you explain why you changed your plans from studying computer science to physics?

There were a few reasons that led to my decision to switch from computer science to physics. One main reason was that I found myself more interested in the theoretical concepts and principles of physics rather than the practical applications of computer science. I also realized that my strengths and skills aligned more with the problem-solving and critical thinking required in physics. Overall, I felt that studying physics would provide me with a better understanding of the universe and its workings.

2. How will this change impact your future career opportunities?

Switching from computer science to physics may limit some of the traditional career paths available in the tech industry. However, it opens up a wide range of opportunities in fields such as research, academia, and even finance. My background in computer science may also be beneficial in pursuing interdisciplinary fields such as computational physics or data science.

3. Are there any similarities between computer science and physics?

Although they may seem like vastly different subjects, there are some similarities between computer science and physics. Both require strong problem-solving skills and the ability to think critically. Moreover, there is a growing intersection between the two fields, such as the use of computer simulations in physics research and the application of physics principles in computer science, such as quantum computing.

4. How will you catch up on the coursework and knowledge in physics?

As with any field, there will be a learning curve and catching up on the coursework and knowledge in physics will require dedication and hard work. I plan to take additional courses, attend seminars and workshops, and seek guidance from professors and peers to make sure I am up to speed with the necessary knowledge and skills. Additionally, I will also do independent research and self-study to supplement my education.

5. What advice do you have for others considering a change in their academic plans?

My advice would be to carefully evaluate your interests, strengths, and career goals before making a decision. It's essential to follow your passion and choose a field that aligns with your strengths and skills. Also, don't be afraid to make a change if you realize that your current academic path is not the right fit for you. It's never too late to switch gears and pursue a field that truly interests you.