1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Change of plans: from CS to Physics?

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1
    Hey,
    Some time ago I have posted a similar question here about my doubts on my CS course plan. I'm from Brazil, so this should be taken into account, as our university system is pretty messed up. I'm going to graduate this year from CS (need two more disciplines only). I have decided to get to the end, to at least have a sort of backup plan, or go on with it if I managed to like it very much. In fact, I have a very similar case of this guy here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/from-cs-a-msc-or-another-degree.878130/ but no one seemed to answer his/her question.[/PLAIN] [Broken]

The thing is, I don't think I like it enough. I wanted to go into academia, or research industry, thus I would go for a MSc and Phd, but I'm not sure I can go much further in CS. I'm working with a rather specific topic now (bioinformatics) which will probably be over soon with the coming of quantum computers.

Question: Is it too late to change to Physics (23 years old)? Would it be wise? Most people do the opposite way (Physics -> CS), and some of my classmates did that indeed.

Would perhaps Engineering Physics be a smarter choice?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Of course not. You're only 23. You would probably have to start over though. Depending on the route you choose you would likely get some credit for the courses you have already taken, but this depends on the school you're in.

That depends on you. If you're not happy with what you're doing right now, then getting out is probably a good idea. For the record, I suspect that bioinformatics is going to continue to be a big/hot area for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't worry about it being replaced by quantum computing.
    You also have to go into an academic field like physics with your eyes wide open. The odds that you'll end up with a permanent job in academia are low. But you can still get a lot out of a physics degree. You can still get involved in research.

The best of both worlds. Yes and no. The advantage is that these are usually professional degrees and you're more competitive for engineering positons when you graduate. The disadvantage is that you tend to get spread thin - but this depends on the program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted