From CS: a MSc, or another degree?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on whether to switch from a CS program to a Physics or Applied Math program. They currently have a MSc opportunity in CS but are unsure about pursuing it as they are more interested in applying programming to math or physics. They have a background in relevant subjects such as Calculus, Discrete Maths, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, and Graph Theory. Their ultimate goal is to work as a professor or in research. They are unable to pursue a Physics MSc due to lacking a degree in Physics. They are 22 years old and open to providing additional information for clarification.
Leonarte
Hey guys,

So, I have been reading the forum for quite a time now. I am confused on what to do next in my academic life, and came here to ask your assistance.

I'm from Brazil, so we have to consider that the University system here is a bit different. By the end of this year I'll graduate from CS (just CS, we have no concept of minor or major here). The past year I've been working in a Combinatorial Optimization Research group, and it has been a wonderful experience. Now I've been offered, by my advisor, the possibility to continue working in the group on a MSc program starting next year.

The problem is that I'm not sure I want to go further in CS. I love programming, I really do, but I like to do it applied to math or physics (thus why I got interested in Combinatorial Optimization). Also I love math and physics and studying the nature of things. I have been checking the Physics and the Applied Math undergraduate programs at my university and I really felt like moving to one of them, specially physics (I've came to know that the department here is in lack of good programmers, so...).

Questions:
  1. Should I change to Physics or Ap. Math (let's not consider which one yet)?
  2. Would I be throwing away a big opportunity (I basically have a MSc on my hands)?

Notes: As notes, I'll let some information that may be helpful for anyone trying to help me.
  1. In CS I have studied Calculus I and II, Discrete Maths, Linear Algebra I, Probability and Statistics, Graph Theory, Combinatorial Analysis, Combinatorial Optimization and Physics I (those are the most relevant to Physics and/or Ap. Math I guess). In the next, and last semester, I'm going to try Mathematical Analysis A, and ODE or Linear Algebra II.
  2. As for what I want to work with, I want to be a professor at an University teaching and doing research. If that does not work out, at least work at a company also doing research.
  3. I can't try going into a Physics MSc program here because one must have a degree on physics to do so. I could try one in Math, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the necessary knowledge.
  4. Just as a reminder, in Brazil our university programs do not have a major/minor concept, you do either CS or Physics, not "both" (although you can take some classes of other programs, that does not give you any additional title).
  5. As a last thing, I'm 22 years old (some people say it matter, some don't).

If there is anything I can make clearer, or any additional information I can give, please feel free to ask.
I could use some help :)

1. What is the difference between a MSc and other degrees in Computer Science?

A MSc, or Master of Science, is a postgraduate degree that focuses on a specific area of study within computer science. It typically involves advanced coursework, research, and a thesis project. Other degrees in computer science, such as a Bachelor's or PhD, may have a broader curriculum or different requirements. A MSc is often pursued by individuals looking to deepen their knowledge and skills in a specific area of computer science.

2. How long does it take to complete a MSc in Computer Science?

The length of a MSc program in computer science can vary depending on the institution and the program's structure. Generally, it takes 1-2 years to complete a full-time MSc, and 2-4 years to complete a part-time program. Some programs may also offer accelerated options for students who want to complete the degree in a shorter amount of time.

3. What are the career opportunities for individuals with a MSc in Computer Science?

Having a MSc in computer science can open up a variety of career opportunities in industries such as technology, research, finance, and healthcare. Some common job titles for individuals with a MSc in computer science include software engineer, data scientist, research scientist, and systems analyst. The specific career path may depend on the individual's area of focus within computer science and their personal interests.

4. Can I pursue a MSc in Computer Science if I have a degree in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MSc in computer science even if you have a degree in a different field. However, some programs may require applicants to have a certain level of knowledge or coursework in computer science. It may also be helpful to have some relevant work experience or take prerequisite courses before starting the MSc program.

5. How much does a MSc in Computer Science cost?

The cost of a MSc in computer science can vary depending on the institution, program, and the student's residency status. Generally, a MSc program can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $60,000. However, there are often scholarships, grants, and other forms of financial aid available to help cover the cost of the degree. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the best option for your budget.