1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variables and discrete derivatives

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    Hey

I am trying to evaluate d/dx, d/dy and d/dz of a wavefunction defined on a grid. I have the wavefunction defined on equally spaced points along three axes a=x+y-z, b=x-y+z and c=-x+y+z. I can therefore construct the derivative matrices d/da, d/db and d/dc using finite differences but I don't know how to convert these to d/dx, d/dy and d/dz.

I have been trying to use some sort of chain rule

d/dx=d/da*da/dx+d/db*db/dx+d/dc*dc/dx ... but I do not know how to express da/dx, db/dx and dc/dx using matrices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey

I am trying to evaluate d/dx, d/dy and d/dz of a wavefunction defined on a grid. I have the wavefunction defined on equally spaced points along three axes a=x+y-z, b=x-y+z and c=-x+y+z. I can therefore construct the derivative matrices d/da, d/db and d/dc using finite differences but I don't know how to convert these to d/dx, d/dy and d/dz.

d/dx=d/da*da/dx+d/db*db/dx+d/dc*dc/dx ... but I do not know how to express da/dx, db/dx and dc/dx using matrices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. Relevant equations
    a=x+y-z,
    b=x-y+z
    and c=-x+y+z
    x=½(a+b)
    y=½(a+c)
    z=½(c+b)
    3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using [(d/da*x)]^(-1) but it does not work

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

4. Mar 25, 2015 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If the problem is to approximate the partial derivatives of a smooth function from the values of the function on a grid, you should look up the topic of "stencils" in numerical analysis. Search on keywords like "stencil, derivatives, 3D".

5. Mar 25, 2015 #4
    My problem is somewhat different...

I have the partial derivatives with respect to a, b and c but would like partial derivatives with respect to x, y and z.

I have used a stencil (I think) in order to get the partials with respect to a, b and c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted