Change of variables in the Density of States function

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
AndersF
Messages
27
Reaction score
4
TL;DR
Reexpress the density of states for a Fermion gas in terms of momentum in terms of the energy.
I have a problem where I am given the density of states for a Fermion gas in terms of momentum: ##D(p)dp##. I need to express it in terms of the energy of the energy levels, ##D(\varepsilon)d\varepsilon##, knowing that the gas is relativistic and thus ##\varepsilon=cp##.

Replacing ##p## by ##\varepsilon/c## and ##dp## by ##d\varepsilon/c##, I would get ##D(\varepsilon/c)d\varepsilon/c##, but I'm looking for ##D(\varepsilon)d\varepsilon## instead.

I'm missing something? I know this is basic stuff, but I am stuck and this issue has me clueless...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have
$$\tilde{D}(\epsilon) \mathrm{d} \epsilon=D(p) \mathrm{d} p$$
and
$$\mathrm{d} \epsilon=c \mathrm{d} p$$
So you get
$$\tilde{D}(\epsilon) c \mathrm{d} p = D(p) \mathrm{d} p=D(\epsilon/c) \mathrm{d} p,$$
from which finally
$$\tilde{D}(\epsilon)=\frac{1}{c} D(\epsilon/c),$$
which means that ##D## transforms as a density, as it must be.

You have to be careful with the notation. That's why I distinguished ##D## (function of ##p##) and ##\tilde{D}## (function of ##\epsilon##).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: atyy and AndersF