Change temperature within very small timeframe

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of heating and cooling small quantities of ethanol within one second for a specific application involving a soft actuator. The individual is seeking advice on whether this is theoretically and practically feasible, and there is a discussion on potential methods such as using an electric heating element or heat sinks. The individual also mentions mixing ethanol with silicones and the need for the actuator to contract and relax quickly. The conversation concludes with the understanding that cooling can only occur through contact with a colder object and the heating source must be powerful enough to overcome the cooling.
TeunKeusters
I had no idea where to place this, so my apologies if I chose the wrong topic.

Hi,

For a certain application I need to heat very small (< 0.2 mm^3) quantities of ethanol until it vaporizes (78 °C) and then cool it down again until it's a liquid again. The hard part is that this all needs to happen within 1 second. Do you guys have any idea whether this would be possible (both theoretically and practically)?

Thanks in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Maybe . Please tell us more about what you are trying to do .

A very small electric heating element in good contact to the ethanol, surrounded by a colder environment?

A hot heat sink, followed by a cold heat sink. Maybe sauce pans for heat sinks.

Thanks for responding guys! I'll indeed elaborate somewhat on the application:
I am working on some kind of soft actuator. It works by mixing ethanol with silicones. When the mixture is heatened, the ethanol (which is now distributed around the silicones in the form of bubbles) expands, causing the entire thing to grow. This works, but now I am trying to make it so that the actuator/muscle can contract and relax within a second. I have no experience, nor knowledge considering lasers. Could it be possible to heat the thing up very locally. And moreover, would it be possible to cool it in the same timeframe?

Cooling only works with a contact to a colder object unless the ethanol is so spread out that radiation is relevant. The same applies for this colder object - which means it should stay cold all the time. Therefore the heating source has to be powerful enough to overcome the cooling.

1. How quickly can temperature be changed within a small timeframe?

The rate at which temperature can be changed within a small timeframe depends on various factors such as the starting temperature and the desired temperature, the method of changing temperature, and the material being heated or cooled. Some methods, such as using a highly conductive material, can result in faster temperature changes compared to others.

2. What is the smallest timeframe in which temperature can be changed?

The smallest timeframe in which temperature can be changed depends on the method being used. Some methods, such as using an ice bath, can result in almost instantaneous temperature changes. However, the timeframe can also depend on the sensitivity of the temperature measuring equipment being used.

3. How does changing temperature within a small timeframe affect the material being heated or cooled?

The impact of changing temperature within a small timeframe on a material can vary. In some cases, rapid temperature changes can cause thermal stress and potentially lead to damage or structural changes in the material. It is important to consider the material's properties and limitations when attempting to change its temperature rapidly.

4. Are there any safety concerns when rapidly changing temperature within a small timeframe?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when rapidly changing temperature within a small timeframe. For example, if using a highly conductive material, there is a risk of burns or injury if not handled properly. Additionally, sudden temperature changes can also cause unexpected reactions in certain materials, so it is important to take proper safety precautions.

5. Can changing temperature within a small timeframe affect the accuracy of temperature measurements?

Yes, changing temperature within a small timeframe can affect the accuracy of temperature measurements. Rapid temperature changes can cause fluctuations and make it challenging to obtain precise and consistent measurements. It is important to use appropriate equipment and techniques to minimize any potential inaccuracies.