Change volume and pressure of a given amount of liquid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of changing the volume and pressure of a given amount of liquid. The participants also mention the insensitivity of liquids to pressure changes, as well as the connection between pressure and glaucoma. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to seek advice from an opthomologist for treating glaucoma.
mather
hello!

is it totally true that there is no way to change the volume and pressure of a given amount of liquid?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mather said:
hello!

is it totally true that there is no way to change the volume and pressure of a given amount of liquid?

thanks!

What makes you say that? Do you suppose that the pressure in a cup of water is the same at the surface of the ocean, and 1000 meters down under the surface?

I think we cannot compress a balloon full of water, while we can compress a balloon of gas (or probably of a solid material too?)

mather said:
I think we cannot compress a balloon full of water, while we can compress a balloon of gas (or probably of a solid material too?)

A change in volume is different from a change in pressure.

And liquids can undergo a small change in volume given enough pressure. Can you find a web page that discusses this? It's pretty easy using Google...

You can, although liquids in general are not very sensitive to pressure, that is, their volumes and other thermodynamic properties do not greatly change with pressure, only with temperature. Same for solids.

The pressure, however, changes greatly. If you apply a pressure of 500 times the atmospheric pressure, the liquid will be at that pressure, but the liquid won't have much sensibility to this pressure change as most gases do.

I was thinking about glaucoma

intraocular pressure is a major causative factor and I wondered if there is a way to reduce it apart from removing its excess

mather said:
I was thinking about glaucoma

intraocular pressure is a major causative factor and I wondered if there is a way to reduce it apart from removing its excess

Your opthomologist can advise you on your eye health. If intraocular pressure is an issue for you, s/he can prescribe eyedrops that will reduce the pressure.

berkeman said:
Your opthomologist can advise you on your eye health. If intraocular pressure is an issue for you, s/he can prescribe eyedrops that will reduce the pressure.

thanks, but I am not a patient looking for relief or advise, I am just wondering about new methods for treating glaucoma

mather said:
thanks, but I am not a patient looking for relief or advise, I am just wondering about new methods for treating glaucoma

Are you familiar with the causes of glaucoma? Mostly the problem is inadequate draining of the fluid through the angle:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002587/

Treatments address this drainage capability...

1. How can I change the volume of a given amount of liquid?

In order to change the volume of a liquid, you can either add or remove more liquid to it. This can be done by using a measuring tool, such as a graduated cylinder, to add or remove a specific amount of liquid.

2. What factors can affect the change in volume of a liquid?

The change in volume of a liquid can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the type of liquid itself. As temperature increases, most liquids expand and take up more space. Pressure can also affect the volume of a liquid by compressing or expanding it. Finally, different liquids have different densities and will therefore have different volumes for the same amount of liquid.

3. How does changing the pressure affect the volume of a liquid?

Changing the pressure applied to a liquid can result in a change in its volume. For example, increasing the pressure on a liquid will compress it and decrease its volume, while decreasing the pressure will expand the liquid and increase its volume.

4. Can the volume and pressure of a liquid be changed independently?

Yes, the volume and pressure of a liquid can be changed independently. This is because they are two separate variables that are not directly dependent on each other. However, they can still affect each other if one is changed.

5. How can I calculate the change in volume of a liquid due to a change in pressure?

The change in volume of a liquid due to a change in pressure can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is equal to the product of the amount of gas, its temperature, and a constant. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the change in volume given a change in pressure.