Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change volume and pressure of a given amount of liquid?

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    hello!

is it totally true that there is no way to change the volume and pressure of a given amount of liquid?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What makes you say that? Do you suppose that the pressure in a cup of water is the same at the surface of the ocean, and 1000 meters down under the surface?

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    I think we cannot compress a balloon full of water, while we can compress a balloon of gas (or probably of a solid material too?)

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

berkeman

A change in volume is different from a change in pressure.

And liquids can undergo a small change in volume given enough pressure. Can you find a web page that discusses this? It's pretty easy using Google...

6. Mar 4, 2012 #5
    You can, although liquids in general are not very sensitive to pressure, that is, their volumes and other thermodynamic properties do not greatly change with pressure, only with temperature. Same for solids.

The pressure, however, changes greatly. If you apply a pressure of 500 times the atmospheric pressure, the liquid will be at that pressure, but the liquid won't have much sensibility to this pressure change as most gases do.

7. Mar 4, 2012 #6
    I was thinking about glaucoma

intraocular pressure is a major causative factor and I wondered if there is a way to reduce it apart from removing its excess

8. Mar 4, 2012 #7

berkeman

Your opthomologist can advise you on your eye health. If intraocular pressure is an issue for you, s/he can prescribe eyedrops that will reduce the pressure.

9. Mar 4, 2012 #8
    thanks, but I am not a patient looking for relief or advise, I am just wondering about new methods for treating glaucoma

10. Mar 4, 2012 #9

berkeman

Are you familiar with the causes of glaucoma? Mostly the problem is inadequate draining of the fluid through the angle:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002587/

Treatments address this drainage capability...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook