1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing evaluation of an axis on a triple integral

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    So I'm in the middle of a calculus 3 course, and one thing I've been lightly chewing on is how to change the direction of evaluation of a double/triple integral when the bounds are complicated enough that they can't be drawn easily on a graph. Would you have to use the optimization in several variables equation, fxx(a,b)fyy(a,b)-fxy(a,b)^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. I don't see that optimization has anything to do with your question. Pictures are always a very good idea. Sometimes you can do it by just studying the equations. For example if you want your inner integral to be in the x direction your limits would go from x-on-the-back to x-on-the-front (assuming the usual orientation of xyz axes. If you set the equation for x-on-the-back equal to x-on-the-front you will have a yz equation to analyze for your next limits. And of course you need to be able to write the yz equations for x-on-the-back and x-on-the-front. Similarly for the other directions first. But you can't beat picking it off the graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook