Evaluate the triple integral paraboloid

In summary, the triple integral ∫∫∫E 5x dV, where E is bounded by the paraboloid x = 5y2+ 5z2 and the plane x = 5, can be evaluated using cylindrical polars with bounds 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π, 0 ≤ r ≤ 1, and 5r2 ≤ x ≤ 5. However, a more efficient approach would be to use a change of variables to transform the domain of integration into a simpler shape with bounds 0 ≤ θ < 2π, 0 < ρ ≤ √(x'/5), and 0 ≤ x' ≤ 5.
carl123
Evaluate the triple integral ∫∫∫E 5x dV, where E is bounded by the paraboloid
x = 5y2+ 5z2 and the plane x = 5.

My work so far:
Since it's a paraboloid, where each cross section parallel to the plane x = 5 is a circle, cylindrical polars is what I used, so my bounds are 5y2+5z2 ≤x ≤ 5 -----> 5r2 ≤ x ≤ 5, since each cross-section is a full circle 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π. Also, when x=0, y2 + z2=0 -----> r=0 and x=5 -----> y2+z2=1 -----> r=1, so my bounds for r are 0 ≤r ≤ 1.

My triple integral is then:
∫∫∫E 5x dV = ∫(from 0 to 2π) ∫(from 0 to 1) ∫(from 5r2 to 5) 5xr dx dr dθ

I keep getting the wrong answer after evaluating it

Physics news on Phys.org
carl123 said:

My work so far:
Since it's a paraboloid, where each cross section parallel to the plane x = 5 is a circle, cylindrical polars is what I used, so my bounds are 5y2+5z2 ≤x ≤ 5 -----> 5r2 ≤ x ≤ 5, since each cross-section is a full circle 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π. Also, when x=0, y2 + z2=0 -----> r=0 and x=5 -----> y2+z2=1 -----> r=1, so my bounds for r are 0 ≤r ≤ 1.

What answer do you get when you evaluate it? What do you think is the correct answer?

Your domain of integration is ##E=\{(x,y,z) \in\mathbb{R}^3, \ 0\le x \le 5, 0\le y^2 + z^2 \le x/5\}##

If you sketch what it looks like, you'll see that a natural change of variable is ##(x,y,z) = \phi(x',\rho,\theta) = (x', \rho \cos\theta, \rho \sin\theta) ##, with ##\rho > 0## and ##\theta \in [0,2\pi[## to make it bijective except for the points on the ##x## axis.

Then, your reciprocal domain is ##\phi^{-1}(E) = \{ 0\le x' \le 5,\ 0<\rho\le \sqrt{x'/5}, \ 0\le \theta < 2\pi \} ##

carl123 said:

My work so far:

Please don't delete the three parts of the homework template. Its use is required.

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an integral that involves three variables and is used to find the volume under a three-dimensional surface, such as a paraboloid.

What is a paraboloid?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional surface that is shaped like a bowl or a spoon. It is formed by rotating a parabola around its axis.

How do you evaluate a triple integral for a paraboloid?

To evaluate a triple integral for a paraboloid, you need to find the limits of integration for each variable and then use the appropriate integration method, such as the rectangular, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates method.

What are the applications of triple integrals for paraboloids?

Triple integrals for paraboloids are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate the volume of objects with curved surfaces, such as lenses, bowls, and satellite dishes.

What are some tips for solving triple integrals for paraboloids?

Some tips for solving triple integrals for paraboloids include converting the equation of the paraboloid into a suitable form for the chosen integration method, carefully setting up the limits of integration, and checking for symmetry to simplify the integration process.