Changing from humanities to physics -- help needed

In summary, 23 year old male wants to pursue a career in physics but is worried about his age and the odds of success. He recommends completing a physics BS and a PhD first and then considering a career in physics.
luke179
Hello all. This is my first thread.

I am 23y/o male. After my high school I wanted to go for physics but due to family pressure I went for marine engineering but bailed out after two years as I find it boring and unappealing. After that I tried two and half year for a government job but lost motivation in the end. Again I feel that this career is not for me. I feel that I can thrive in field which is objective and logical. Meanwhile I finished my bachelors in sociology just for sake of graduation. I was always a science oriented guy and living a career in humanities is something I cannot digest. I am planning to again graduate in Physics and make a career in it. This was my dream since childhood. Though I am out of touch with physics since last few years but that is not my concern. My questions are-
1- Is it already late for me to start a career in physics now?
2- My motive is to go in research and experimental side of physics. So considering my age do you people think i am making a right choice?

My career counsellor asked me to take advice from people already in this field.
I highly appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're only 23. That is still very young. Don't worry, you could still get a very nice career in physics.

Likes luke179
It's not too late to consider a career in physics, it's too early. You need to complete a physics BS and a PhD first. Then if you still want to pursue a career in physics you can do some post docs and try for a permanent position.

But know that most physics grads, and even many or most PhDs cannot or do not get a career in physics. No one from my class in undergrad or grad school got a career in physics. If you decide to pursue a physics eduacation keep an open mind on where it may take you because statistically speaking it will probably not be a career in physics.

Likes luke179

1. What are the major differences between studying humanities and physics?

Studying humanities involves analyzing and understanding human culture, history, and language. On the other hand, studying physics involves understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world.

2. Is it possible to switch from a humanities major to a physics major?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a humanities major to a physics major. However, it may require taking additional prerequisite courses in math and science.

3. Will my previous coursework in humanities be helpful in studying physics?

While the subjects may seem vastly different, there are skills that can be transferred from studying humanities to physics. Critical thinking, research, and communication skills are applicable in both fields.

4. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I have a humanities background?

Yes, having a background in humanities can provide a unique perspective and skillset that can be valuable in the field of physics. Many physicists have diverse backgrounds and interests.

5. How can I prepare for the transition from humanities to physics?

To prepare for the transition, it is important to take courses in math and science, particularly calculus and physics. Reading books and articles on physics can also help familiarize yourself with the subject before starting your studies. Additionally, talking to professors or students in the physics department can give you a better understanding of what to expect in the program.