Changing of frequencies in the Doppler effect

In summary, the non-relativistic Doppler effect can be derived from the Galilean transformation. The equation for the wave frequency in a moving frame is equivalent to the original equation, with the speed of the observer, source, and wave measured with respect to the medium. This does not apply to light or electromagnetic waves, where Einstein's theory of relativity must be used.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
I am trying to figure out why the relativity don't get in the doppler effect, that is, why can't we apply the "galileo transformations" in doppler effect?
OBS: i am not saying about doppler effect relativistic (using Lorentz transformation)

In another words, i am moving in direction to a source with velocity v, we use the first case below.
But if i imagine that actually the font is going in my direction, as classical mechanics allows, i could try to use the second case.

1596980870465.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do, but the non-relativistic Doppler effect can be derived from the Galilean transformation. For instance, let us consider a stationary source. Take a wave traveling in the ##-\hat{x}## direction in the rest frame of the medium, $$y = A\sin{(kx + \omega t)}$$Now let us transform into a frame moving at ##v_x = V##, such that ##x' = x - Vt## (and ##t = t'##), then the equation of the wave is$$y' = A\sin{(kx' + (kV + \omega)t')}$$You can see that ##\omega' = kV + \omega## and ##k' = k##. These imply that ##\lambda = \lambda'## and ##f' = \frac{V}{\lambda} + f = \left(\frac{V}{c} + 1 \right)f = \left (\frac{V+c}{c} \right)f##, which is the first formula you write.

Edit: Seems I misinterpreted your question... see collinsmark's answer below!

Last edited by a moderator:
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: All below
Relevant Equations:: All below

I am trying to figure out why the relativity don't get in the doppler effect, that is, why can't we apply the "galileo transformations" in doppler effect?
OBS: i am not saying about doppler effect relativistic (using Lorentz transformation)

In another words, i am moving in direction to a source with velocity v, we use the first case below.
But if i imagine that actually the font is going in my direction, as classical mechanics allows, i could try to use the second case.

View attachment 267525
You can. But you must consider that in the second case, the medium itself is moving. So in the second case, you'll need to first do a Galilean transformation such that [itex] v [/itex] represents a velocity relative to the medium. Once you do that, the first equation pops back out.

In other words, in the more general equations of [itex] \nu' = \left( \frac{c_s \pm v_r}{c_s \pm v_s} \right) \nu [/itex], where [itex] v_r [/itex] is the speed of the receiver and [itex] v_s [/itex] is the speed of the source, it is assumed that these velocities are measured with respect to the velocity of the medium itself.

(Of course, as already mentioned, this applies to things that have a medium, such as sound. The above does not apply to light, electromagnetic waves, and/or Einstein's relativity.)

Likes etotheipi
Under a Galilean shift to a frame traveling at ##v##, the speeds of the observer, source, and wave are ##v_o' = 0##, ##v_s' = v## and ##c' = c+v## respectively (be careful with signs when dealing with boosted speeds). Use your second formula to write$$f' = \left( \frac{c'}{c'-v_s'} \right)f = \left( \frac{c + v}{c} \right)f$$i.e. we recover the first equation, as @collinsmark points out. That is to say we just measure the speeds of the observer, source and wave w.r.t. our frame - where wave speed equals the vector sum of medium speed and relative speed of the wave w.r.t. the medium.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. This effect can be observed in various types of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect works by compressing or stretching the wave as the source moves closer or farther away from the observer. This results in a change in frequency, which is perceived as a change in pitch or color.

What causes the change in frequency in the Doppler effect?

The change in frequency in the Doppler effect is caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency will increase, and if the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency will decrease.

How is the Doppler effect used in real life?

The Doppler effect has many practical applications, such as in radar and sonar systems, where it is used to determine the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to detect the movement of blood in the body.

Can the Doppler effect be observed in both sound and light waves?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed in both sound and light waves. In sound waves, it is perceived as a change in pitch, while in light waves, it is perceived as a change in color. However, the effect is more noticeable in sound waves due to their lower frequency compared to light waves.