The relativistic Doppler effect

In summary: The energy of the photon as seen on Earth is less than the energy of the photon as generated because the galaxy is receding.
help I have 12 hours
Homework Statement
An electron in a hydrogen atom drops from an excited state n=n’ to the n=1 level and emits a photon in a distant galaxy. When the photon reaches earth, its final energy is observed to be 2.117 eV. If the galaxy is receding at 0.95c, what was the excited state of the electron? Hint: Look at section 1.14 on the Doppler effect in your book.
Relevant Equations
E=hc
B=V/c
Fobs=(((1-(B/C))/(1+(B/C)))^(1/2)
I found the observed frequency from the energy. Then I used the receding Doppler shift formula to find, the source frequency but after that when i tried to use the Rydberg equation I got a value for the energy level less than one. and I'm pretty sure my work is right, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The light you are seeing has already been Doppler shifted to lower energy. You need to "un-shift" it to find the original energy!

Yes, I have done this. I found the f(obs) = (5.1189*10^14)hz
and then I "un-shifted" to find the f(source)=(3.19675*10^15)hz
which gave me lambda=94nm for the source light, but when I use the Rydberg equation from there I get a nonsense answer. Sorry, but can someone check if the problem has an answer that works?

1/(94*10^-9)=(1.096*10^7)((1/(n^2))-1) n=non-sensical

Last edited:
The observed frequency will be less than the emitted frequency because the galaxy is receding.

help I have 12 hours said:
which gave me lambda=94nm for the source light, but when I use the Rydberg equation from there I get a nonsense answer. Sorry, but can someone check if the problem has an answer that works?

1/(94*10^-9)=(1.096*10^7)((1/(n^2))-1) n=non-sensical
Why not do the calculation in ##eV##? The ground state of hydrogen is ##-13.6eV## and the nth state has energy ##-\frac{13.6}{n^2}eV##.

And, yes, I do get a whole number answer (without converting to photon frequency or wavelength).

Last edited:
help I have 12 hours said:
So far, so good.
Now, sticking to frequency, what is the ratio of energies of the photon as generated and as seen on Earth?
What is the energy of the photon as generated?
Solve for n.

1. What is the relativistic Doppler effect?

The relativistic Doppler effect is a phenomenon in physics that describes the change in frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic waves (such as light) due to the relative motion between the source of the waves and the observer. It is a consequence of the principles of special relativity.

2. How does the relativistic Doppler effect differ from the classical Doppler effect?

The classical Doppler effect only takes into account the relative motion between the source and the observer, whereas the relativistic Doppler effect also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speeds involved. This means that the relativistic Doppler effect can produce different results, especially at high speeds.

3. What is the formula for calculating the relativistic Doppler effect?

The formula for the relativistic Doppler effect is: f' = f * √[(1+v/c) / (1-v/c)], where f is the frequency of the wave as measured by the source, f' is the frequency of the wave as measured by the observer, v is the relative velocity between the source and the observer, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does the relativistic Doppler effect apply to everyday life?

The relativistic Doppler effect is most commonly observed in astronomy, where it is used to study the motion of stars and galaxies. It also has practical applications in technologies such as GPS, where the relativistic effects must be taken into account for accurate measurements. Additionally, it has been observed in experiments with high-speed particles, such as in particle accelerators.

5. Can the relativistic Doppler effect be observed in everyday situations?

While the relativistic Doppler effect is not typically observable in everyday situations due to the high speeds involved, it can be observed in certain scenarios such as when an object is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. However, the effects are usually too small to be noticed without precise measurements or specialized equipment.