Changing the subject of an equation involving summation

• Thread starter resurgance2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary: So ##(A^TB)^\beta{}_\gamma=\sum_{\alpha\delta}(A^T)_{\beta\alpha}B_{\alpha\delta}(e_\gamma)^{\delta}=\sum_{\alpha\delta}A_{\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\delta}(e_\gamma)^\delta=(A^TB)_{\beta\gamma}##.
resurgance2001
Hi

Can I ask a question please. I have an equation that involves the summation over some indices, for example.

A^αβ B_αγ = C^β_γ

Say that I don't know Β_αγ , and want to make this the subject of the equation, how is this done?

Thanks

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
On the left you have matrix multiplication written using index notation. So to isolate B, you need the matrix inverse to A, if it exists.

Thanks - that's what I thought it was but I just wanted to check.

Just to point out- the quantities in the original equation are NOT matrices, they are tensors. Of course, in a given coordinate system, they can be represented as matrices and then you can multiply both sides by the inverse matrix (assuming the matrix is invertible). By the definition of "tensor", while the individual numbers will vary from one coordinate system to another, the equation will still be valid and the solution matrix you get in one coordinate system will give the same tensor as will the solution matrix in any coordinate system.

The definition of matrix multiplication is ##(AB)_{ij}=\sum_{k} A_{ik}B_{kj}##. If you compare this to the left-hand side of your ##A^{\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\gamma}=C^\beta{}_\gamma##, you see that your equation can be interpreted as row ##\beta##, column ##\gamma## of a matrix equation ##AB^T=C## (Edit: See the correction in my next post), where A is the matrix with ##A^{\alpha\beta}## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##, B is the matrix with ##B_{\alpha\beta}## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##, and C is the matrix with ##C^\alpha{}_\beta## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##. So if this A is an invertible matrix, then you can solve for ##B^T## by multiplying both sides of the matrix equation from the left by the inverse of A. If you want this to look good when you write out all the indices, you may want to use the convention that row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta## of ##A^{-1}## is written as ##(A^{-1})_{\alpha\beta}##.

##(A^{-1})_{\beta\delta}C^\beta{}_\gamma =(A^{-1})_{\beta\delta}A^{\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\gamma} =(AA^{-1})_\delta^\alpha B_{\alpha\gamma} =\delta^\alpha_\delta B_{\alpha\gamma} =B_{\delta\gamma}##

Last edited:
The actual problem I am working on a bit more complicated. I don't know if I can type it here clearly:

We are given:

Σ Γ^l_ik e_l . e_j + e_i . ΣΓ^l_jk e_l = δg_il / δx^lSumming over l

I want to find the steps to rearrange this and make:

Γ^i_jk = ... ?

The answer is the standard equation giving the connection coefficients.

What I am trying to find is the steps that lead from ten
Fredrik said:
The definition of matrix multiplication is ##(AB)_{ij}=\sum_{k} A_{ik}B_{kj}##. If you compare this to the left-hand side of your ##A^{\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\gamma}=C^\beta{}_\gamma##, you see that your equation can be interpreted as row ##\beta##, column ##\gamma## of a matrix equation ##AB^T=C##, where A is the matrix with ##A^{\alpha\beta}## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##, B is the matrix with ##B_{\alpha\beta}## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##, and C is the matrix with ##C^\alpha{}_\beta## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##. So if this A is an invertible matrix, then you can solve for ##B^T## by multiplying both sides of the matrix equation from the left by the inverse of A. If you want this to look good when you write out all the indices, you may want to use the convention that row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta## of ##A^{-1}## is written as ##(A^{-1})_{\alpha\beta}##.

##(A^{-1})_{\beta\delta}C^\beta{}_\gamma =(A^{-1})_{\beta\delta}A^{\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\gamma} =(AA^{-1})_\delta^\alpha B_{\alpha\gamma} =\delta^\alpha_\delta B_{\alpha\gamma} =B_{\delta\gamma}##
Fredrik said:
The definition of matrix multiplication is ##(AB)_{ij}=\sum_{k} A_{ik}B_{kj}##. If you compare this to the left-hand side of your ##A^{\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\gamma}=C^\beta{}_\gamma##, you see that your equation can be interpreted as row ##\beta##, column ##\gamma## of a matrix equation ##AB^T=C##, where A is the matrix with ##A^{\alpha\beta}## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##, B is the matrix with ##B_{\alpha\beta}## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##, and C is the matrix with ##C^\alpha{}_\beta## on row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta##. So if this A is an invertible matrix, then you can solve for ##B^T## by multiplying both sides of the matrix equation from the left by the inverse of A. If you want this to look good when you write out all the indices, you may want to use the convention that row ##\alpha##, column ##\beta## of ##A^{-1}## is written as ##(A^{-1})_{\alpha\beta}##.

Thanks - that is very clear

I see now that I made a mistake. ##A^{\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\gamma}## should be interpreted as ##(A^TB)^\beta{}_\gamma## or ##(B^TA)_\gamma{}^\beta##, not as ##(AB^T)^\beta{}_\gamma##.

Ok - what I would like to find is an interactive website which gives you lots of problems to work on for practice and then gives the correct answer and explanation. Does anyone know of a website like that?

Cheers

When you use say B^T, do you mean the transpose of B?

resurgance2001 said:
When you use say B^T, do you mean the transpose of B?
Yes. Since the definition of matrix multiplication is ##(AB)_{ij}=\sum_k A_{ik}B_{kj}##, we have ##\sum_k A_{ki}B_{kj}=\sum_k(A^T)_{ik}B_{kj}=(A^TB)_{ij}##.

1. How do you change the subject of an equation involving summation?

To change the subject of an equation involving summation, you can use the properties of summation, such as the commutative and distributive properties, to rearrange the terms and isolate the desired variable on one side of the equation.

2. Can you provide an example of changing the subject of an equation involving summation?

Yes, for example, if we have the equation ∑(x + y) = z, we can apply the distributive property to get ∑x + ∑y = z. Then, we can subtract ∑y from both sides to get ∑x = z - ∑y, thus changing the subject to x.

3. What is the purpose of changing the subject of an equation involving summation?

The purpose of changing the subject of an equation involving summation is to solve for a specific variable or to make the equation more manageable and easier to work with.

4. Are there any limitations to changing the subject of an equation involving summation?

Yes, the equation must involve summation and follow the properties of summation. Additionally, changing the subject may not always be possible if the equation is not solvable for the desired variable.

5. Are there any tips for successfully changing the subject of an equation involving summation?

One tip is to first simplify the equation by using any known properties of summation. It can also be helpful to work backwards from the desired variable and use inverse operations to isolate it. Additionally, staying organized and keeping track of the steps taken can make the process easier.