1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chaos Theory & Non-Linear Sys Analysis/Control?

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    Hello learned colleagues and other deep thinkers:

This question may be construed as either way too esoteric, or simply as too vague for this forum, and if deemed either of these I would agree if others find it an inappropriate topic. However...

When it comes to aerospace vehicles and the software systems that control them, I do believe the history of development has shown a marked progression from "linear and highly-predictable" systems towards an acceptance of "non-linear and more probablistic" systems. The best example I can give is aerodynamic angle of attack.

The early days of aircraft respected, honored, dare we say "worshipped" the linear angle of attack range for lift production... Generally from 0 to 18-20 degrees AOA MAX, depending upon the specific airframe/powerplant design and when its control response becomes non-linear.

We then have progressed to understanding the benefits and trade-offs of being able to maneuver aircraft at MUCH higher AoA's which are WELL into the non-linear region of aerodynamic response.

And then there is the science of Chaos Theory which bridges the worlds of linear and non-linear phenomenon with such tools as fractal embedding analytical processes (wavelets is just one of them!).

But does anyone have any references and/or citations of people who have actually used Chaos Theory as a means to design an optimal system which responds with minimum energy in both its linear and non-linear operating regions?

Thank you. I appreciate any answers or even willingness to discuss such a topic.

Rainman

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am sorry rainman I cannot be of too much help here. Moreover, I want to know what do you mean with non linear aerodynamic response?. Even though my whole research goes about fluid mechanics, I am not familiar with its engineering applications to wing aerodynamics. Maybe I am too young for knowing about everything...:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?