Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Chapstick addiction: do you have this problem? how do i wean myself

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    I'm in the habit of using chapstick multiple times a day. This isn't a problem, apart from the fact that I'm somewhat dependent on it. If I stop applying it, it seems like the outer layer of skin will always dry out and crust.

Is this just something to deal with?

My goal is moist and sumptuous lips that never require chapstick.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Years ago there was a particular brand of lip protectant that I was using quite a lot. I had the same issue you did, that it wasn't really making my lips better, but they sure felt bad when I didn't use the stuff. I started to think maybe it was the lip product that I was reacting to somehow.

I stopped by substituting another product - just plain petroleum jelly. This was immediately helpful, no more chapped lips at all. And I only applied it once or twice a day.

Just to see what would happen, I went back the first product again. Sure enough my lips were chapped right away. I think I was reacting to something in the product, like a dermatitis type of reaction.

Try switching to another brand, or better yet try petroleum jelly.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I agree, switch to plain vaseline.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

turbo

Gold Member

That's my wife's go-to. Chapstick and other lip treatments just don't cut it.

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5
    I wrote chapstick, but I meant to refer to lip balm in general.

My preference is burt's bees but I use petroleum jelly as well and it seems like I still need to apply daily or else I get chapped lips.

Do you all view it as a necessary daily habit?

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6

turbo

Gold Member

If you keep buying Burt's, you will enrich Roxanne. That's not a bad thing, because she uses her wealth to buy up Maine wild-land and sequester it. She is a nice person, IMO. I have never met her personally, but she seems willing to use her money to save wild lands in Maine for everybody. That's pretty nice.

8. Aug 2, 2012 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Burt's Bees was the brand giving me trouble, btw. Try avoiding it for a while, see if it helps. If you google 'burts bees lip reaction', you get a lot of hits - seems it gives some people trouble.

9. Aug 2, 2012 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Burt's Bee's also damaged my lips, it has a way too high concentration of peppermint oil.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook