1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chapter 1 cohen tannoudji

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    problem 1.4 of Cohen Tannoudji:
    The exercise is divided into two parts:
    THE FIRST ONE (part a.) asks to find the Fourier transform of a wave function when the potential is: -αδ(x). In terms of p, E, alpha and ψ(0)
    and
    ask to “show that only one value of E, a negative one, is possible” Furthermore, they claim that “Only the bound state of the particle, and not the ones in which it propagates, is found by this method; why?”

2. Relevant equations

the Schrodinger equation:
    -ℏ^2/2m d^2/〖dx〗^2 ψ(x)-αδ(x)ψ(x)=E ψ(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hi, I was solving the problem 1.4 of Cohen Tannoudji:
    The exercise is divided into two parts:
    THE FIRST ONE (part a.) asks to find the Fourier transform of a wave function when the potential is: -αδ(x). In terms of p, E, alpha and ψ(0)
    I did the next procedure:
    I wrote down the Schrodinger equation:
    -ℏ^2/2m d^2/〖dx〗^2 ψ(x)-αδ(x)ψ(x)=E ψ(x) …………………………………………………………………… (i)

Then, I applied a Fourier Transform over the equation (i) What I got was:
    -ℏ^2/2m 〖(ik)〗^2 ψ ̅(k)-αψ(0)=E ψ ̅(k)………………………………………………………………………….(ii)
    Finally, I express ψ ̅(k) in terms of the given parameters, using the fact that p=ℏk
    ψ ̅(k)=(α ψ(0))/(p^2/2m-E)…………………………………………………………………………………………………………(iii)
    Now, they ask to “show that only one value of E, a negative one, is possible” Furthermore, they claim that “Only the bound state of the particle, and not the ones in which it propagates, is found by this method; why?”
    What I know is that as E=V(r)+p^2/2m and for x≠0 V(r)=0, then equation (iii) diverge. But, I don’t get why there’s

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have to take care with the constants. The Fourier transform of the potential term is
    [tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \alpha\delta(x)\psi(x)e^{-ikx}\,dk[/tex]Note also that your method will give you [itex]\bar{\varphi}(k)[/itex], not [itex]\bar{\varphi}(p)[/itex].
    Use the fact that
    [tex]\varphi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \bar{\varphi}(p)e^{ipx/\hbar}\,dp[/tex]to calculate [itex]\varphi(0)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook