How do I evaluate <x> with the k-space representation?

In summary: Using the fact that x in k space is i∂/∂k and p in k space is -iħ∂/∂k, I've gotten the answer for <x>t=<x>0 + <p>0t/m and <p>t=<p>0.In summary, when given the k-space representation of a wave function, you can use the wave number representation to calculate the expectation values of position and momentum, yielding <x>t=<x>0 + <p>0t/m and <p>t=<p>0, respectively. This is done by using the operators x=i∂/∂k and p=-iħ∂/∂k in k space.
Cracker Jack

Homework Statement

Given the following k-space representation of the wave function:
Ψ(k,t) = Ψ(k)e-iħk2t/2m

use the wave number representation to show the following:

<x>t=<x>0 + <p>0t/m

<p>t=<p>0

Homework Equations

<x>=∫Ψ*(x,t)xΨ(x,t)dx
<p>=∫Ψ*(x,t)(-iħ ∂/∂x)Ψ(x,t)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to make the k-space representation into the normal Ψ(x,t) representation then taking Ψ*(x,t) and taking that integral where Ψ(x,t)=1/√(2pi)∫Ψ(k)e-iħk2t/2m*ei(kx-ħk2t/2m)dkHowever, I get caught up when calculating <x> at the following integral: <x>=1/2pi*∫∫(Ψ*(k)Ψ(k) x dk)dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Cracker Jack said:
Ψ(x,t)=1/√(2pi)∫Ψ(k)e-iħk2t/2m*ei(kx-ħk2t/2m)dk
You don't need to do that calculation because you are asked to compute the integral in the k space, and you have also been given the state in k space.
Cracker Jack said:
<x>=1/2pi*∫∫(Ψ*(k)Ψ(k) x dk)dx
Your equation is not correct. Even if you want to do the integral in x space by first expressing ##\psi(x,t)## in its Fourier integral, there should be three integral signs appearing there. But again you don't need to do this. Simply calculate
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(k,t)x\psi(x,t) \hspace{2mm}dk
$$
Your first task is to find out how the operator ##x## acts in k space.
Hint: the expression of ##x## in k space is similar to that of ##p## in position space.

blue_leaf77 said:
You don't need to do that calculation because you are asked to compute the integral in the k space, and you have also been given the state in k space.

Your equation is not correct. Even if you want to do the integral in x space by first expressing ##\psi(x,t)## in its Fourier integral, there should be three integral signs appearing there. But again you don't need to do this. Simply calculate
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(k,t)x\psi(x,t) \hspace{2mm}dk
$$
Your first task is to find out how the operator ##x## acts in k space.
Hint: the expression of ##x## in k space is similar to that of ##p## in position space.
Thank you, I think this helps. I was thinking x could only act on Ψ if it was Ψ(x,t). Looking through lecture notes, I think that x operates in k space as i∂/∂k. Is that correct?

Cracker Jack said:
I think that x operates in k space as i∂/∂k. Is that correct?
Yes correct.
Cracker Jack said:
I was thinking x could only act on Ψ if it was Ψ(x,t).
States are vector in vector space and the operators are the linear maps in the vector space. Since vector space can have more than one bases, the operators can also have different form depending on which bases being used. When position bases is being used ##x## becomes simply a number, in k space ##x## acts such that it has the form you wrote there.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes correct.

States are vector in vector space and the operators are the linear maps in the vector space. Since vector space can have more than one bases, the operators can also have different form depending on which bases being used. When position bases is being used ##x## becomes simply a number, in k space ##x## acts such that it has the form you wrote there.
Thank you this helped a lot, and now I think I've gotten the right answer.

1. How do I convert from image space to k-space representation?

The process of converting from image space to k-space representation involves taking the Fourier Transform of the image. This converts the spatial information of the image into frequency information, which is represented in k-space.

2. What is the significance of k-space in image evaluation?

K-space is a mathematical representation of the frequency domain of an image. It contains important information about the spatial frequencies present in an image, which can be used to evaluate image quality and detect features that are not visible in the image space.

3. How do I interpret the k-space representation of an image?

The k-space representation of an image can be interpreted as a grid, with the center representing low spatial frequencies and the outer edges representing high spatial frequencies. The intensity of each point in k-space corresponds to the amount of that particular spatial frequency present in the image.

4. Can k-space be used to improve image resolution?

Yes, k-space can be used to improve image resolution through a process called k-space interpolation. This involves filling in missing data in the k-space grid to create a higher resolution image. However, this process can also introduce artifacts and should be used carefully.

5. How does k-space representation affect image processing techniques?

K-space representation is important in image processing techniques such as filtering and reconstruction. Filtering in k-space allows for the manipulation of specific spatial frequencies, which can be useful in removing noise or enhancing certain features in an image. Reconstruction techniques, such as parallel imaging, use k-space information to improve the speed and quality of image reconstruction.