1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Char(F)=p; poly NOT irreduc. => must have a root?

1. May 12, 2010 #1

UD1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F have prime characteristic p and let a be in F. Show that the polynomial f(x)=x^p-a either splits or is irreducible in F[x].

I was given a hit: "what can you say about all of the roots of f in a splitting field?"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose f has a root b. That is, b^p=a. Then using Freshman's dream, we have (x-b)^p=x^p+(-b)^p=x^p-a, and so it splits. So, it suffices to show that if that polynomial is NOT irreducible, then it must have a root. That's where I got stuck. The statement seems to be false for field of zero characteristic, so the fact that Char(F)=p should be somehow used.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you use the correct binomial expansion instead of the incorrect Freshman's dream?

4. May 12, 2010 #3

UD1

Because it is indeed correct? In a field F of characteristic p for any two x and y in F we have (x+y)^p=x^p+y^p. This is to see using the mentioned binomial expansion and convincing yourself that p divides every binomial coefficient except the frist and the last. Thus, each term in the expansion will look like p*k*x^r*y^s, where k, r and s are some integers whose values are not important. Since for every x in the field we have px=0, all the terms in the expansion (except the first and the last) dissapear. The freshman's dream is a theorem, not a stupid mistake.

5. May 12, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so then what's your question? Doesn't that show x^p-a splits if it has a root, since your argument then implies that it has p roots? The Freshman's dream isn't true in characteristic 0.

6. May 12, 2010 #5

UD1

If it has a root everything is clear. What is not clear is why the fact that x^p-a is NOT irreducible implies that it has a root.

7. May 12, 2010 #6
    Assume for contradiction that x^p - a = p(x)q(x), where p and q are non-trivial and irreducible. From what you've said, you know what p(x) and q(x) must look like in the splitting field...can you arrive at a contradiction? It will help to assume p is odd (you can take care of char F = 2 separately).

8. May 12, 2010 #7

UD1

First of all, it is not true that x^p-2 can be represented as a product of only two irreducible polynomials.

9. May 12, 2010 #8

UD1

How about these arguments. All the roots of x^p-a are p-th roots of a.

Suppose that x^p-2 is not irreducible and factorize in into irreducibles. All of the will be of degree >=2. Consider any of them. Look at the constant term of that factor.

It MUST (BUT WHY?!) look like the p-th root of a to some power, say, k. This tells us that a^{k/p} is in the field. Since p is prime, there is a multiplicative inverse of k, say l, and raising to that power (since field is closed under products) we find that a^{1/p} is in the field. Done.

10. May 12, 2010 #9
    Sorry, I misspoke... but I think my argument still works: write x^p - a as a product of irreducibles. In the splitting field each irreducible is of the form (x-b)^k for some k (where b is the root of x^p - a). Look at the irreducible of lowest degree. This will divide the other factors in the splitting field and therefore in F[x] (this is by uniqueness of Euclidean algorithm since both polys are in F[x]), contradicting that they were irreducible in F[x].

11. May 12, 2010 #10

UD1

Why are you referring to a root of x^p-a as THE root? How do you know there is only one root? What if they behave like roots in the complex field?

12. May 13, 2010 #11
    In your first post you observed that if b is a root of x^p - a (i.e. b^p = a), then (x-b)^p = x^p - b^p = x^p - a. So in the splitting field x^p - a breaks down as (x-b)^p which has only one root (with multiplicity p).

13. May 13, 2010 #12
    Unfortunately I missed the last few weeks of my algebra class during which we discussed fields, so I can't help you directly. You mentioned that the constant term of each irreducible factor must be of the form a^{k/p}. I too do not see why this must be so. Did you read that elsewhere?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook