1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Characteristic function of a Gaussian

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must find the characteristic function of the Gaussian distribution [itex]f_X(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma} e^{-\frac{1}{2} \left [ \frac{(x- \langle x \rangle )^2}{\sigma ^2} \right ]}[/itex]. If you cannot see well the latex, it's the function P(x) in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NormalDistribution.html.

2. Relevant equations
    The characteristic function is [itex]\phi _X(k)=\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ikx}f_X(x)dx[/itex].
    And a hint given (it seems I didn't copy it well): [itex]\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2+bx}dx = \sqrt {\frac{\pi}{-a}} e^{-\frac{b^2}{4a}}[/itex]. The -a in the square root bothers me, maybe I got it wrong but Wolfram Alpha isn't helping me either.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I applied the definition of the characteristic function and reached [itex]\phi _X(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ikx}}{e^{\frac{1}{2} \left [ \frac{(x-\langle x \rangle )^2}{\sigma ^2} \right ] }}dx[/itex].
    I define [itex]z=\frac{x-\langle x \rangle }{\sigma }[/itex] which pushes me to [itex]\phi _X(k)=\frac{e^{ik\langle x \rangle}}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int _{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikz\sigma}-\frac{z^2}{2}dz[/itex]. It is the form I could in principle apply the hint given. But as it is here, "a" would be 1/2 and the "-a" in the square root would make no sense... or would if I consider complex numbers?!
    Considering complex numbers (I think it's fair since the characteristic function must be complex for the moments to be defined), I reach that [itex]\phi _X(k)=ie^{ik \langle x \rangle +8k^2 \sigma ^2}[/itex].
    I'd appreciate extremely very much if someone could check my result and correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.

Edit: I used the wolfram integrator, the correct evaluation is [itex]\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2+bx}dx = \sqrt {\frac{\pi}{a}} e^{\frac{b^2}{4a}}[/itex] giving me [itex]\phi _X(k)=e^{ik \langle x \rangle - \frac{k^2 \sigma ^2}{2}}[/itex]. I think it is a correct result.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##X \sim \text{N}(\mu,\sigma^2)## then we can write ##X = \mu + \sigma Z,## where ##Z \sim \text{N}(0,1).## So, if ##\tilde{\phi}(w)## is the characteristic function of the unit normal Z, then the characteristic function of X is
    [tex]\tilde{\phi}_X(k) = E \,e^{i k (\mu + \sigma Z)}
    = e^{i k \mu} \tilde{\phi}(\sigma k).[/tex]

RGV

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hey Ray!
    Ok this mean what I've done has chances to be right if I understand well; your [itex]\mu[/itex] is my [itex]\langle x \rangle[/itex].
    I get the correct first 2 raw moments, which is a good sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook