Integration of abs(k)e^(ikx)dk

• Thread starter rmiller70015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Double the integral, and integrate from ##-a## to ##a##. This yields a result that is even and has no absolute value.
rmiller70015
Homework Statement
This is for a quantum free particle problem, doing the Fourrier transform and I just want to make sure I've got the integral correct.
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \phi (k) e^{ikx}dk$$

Where ##\phi## is:
$$

f\left(k\right) = \left\{

\begin{array}{lr}

A(a-|k|) & : |k| \le a\\

0 & : |k| > a

\end{array}

\right.\\

$$
Split the integral
$$\frac{Aa}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{ikx}dk - \frac{A}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|k|e^{ikx}dk$$

Apply the boundary conditions, this is where my biggest source of uncertainty comes from I doubled the integral and integrated from 0 to a instead of from -a to +a to get rid of that absolute value. I plotted the |k|e^k function and it appears to have even parity.

$$\frac{Aa}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{a}_{-a}e^{ikx}dk - \frac{2A}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int^{a}_{0}|k|e^{ikx}dk$$

$$\frac{Aa}{\sqrt{2\pi}ix}(e^{iax} - e^{-iax}) + \frac{2Ai}{\sqrt{2\pi}x}[ke^{ikx}-\frac{1}{ix}e^{ikx}]^a_0$$

$$\frac{Aa}{\sqrt{2\pi}ix}(e^{iax} - e^{-iax}) - \frac{2A}{\sqrt{2\pi}ix}(ae^{iax}-0 - \frac{1}{ix}(e^{iax}-1))$$

$$\frac{Aa}{\sqrt{2\pi}ix}(e^{iax}-e^{-iax}-2e^{iax}) - \frac{2A}{\sqrt{2\pi}(ix)^2}(e^{iax}-1)$$

Clean up and use Euler
$$\frac{2iAa}{\sqrt{2\pi}x}cos(ax) + \frac{2A}{\sqrt{2\pi}x^2}(e^{iax}-1)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

rmiller70015 said:
Apply the boundary conditions, this is where my biggest source of uncertainty comes from I doubled the integral and integrated from 0 to a instead of from -a to +a to get rid of that absolute value
If you have to split anyway, why not write ##\phi = a+k ## from -a to 0 and ##\phi = a-k ## from 0 to a ?

Are you somewhat familiar with the FT ? Since your ##\phi## is a convolution of a boxcar in time (6) with itself, I would expect (14) something like a ##\displaystyle {\ {sin^2 x\over x^2}}\ ## for ##\psi ##.

##\ ##

Likes docnet
Mathematica yields a simpler result (this one's wrong):
$$\frac{2A}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \frac{1-e^{iax}+iax}{x^2}.$$ On the other hand, if I evaluate the integral using the InverseFourierTransform function, I get a result like @BvU's expectation.

You can't double the integral from 0 to ##a## because while ##f(k)## is even, the integrand as a whole isn't.

Last edited:
Likes docnet

1. What is the purpose of integrating abs(k)e^(ikx)dk?

The purpose of integrating abs(k)e^(ikx)dk is to find the area under the curve of the function abs(k)e^(ikx) with respect to the variable k. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating probabilities or determining the properties of physical systems.

2. How do you solve the integration of abs(k)e^(ikx)dk?

The integration of abs(k)e^(ikx)dk can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or using complex analysis methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the function and the desired level of accuracy.

3. What is the result of integrating abs(k)e^(ikx)dk?

The result of integrating abs(k)e^(ikx)dk will be a function of x, which represents the area under the curve of abs(k)e^(ikx) with respect to k. This result can be used to make further calculations or analysis, depending on the specific application.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when integrating abs(k)e^(ikx)dk?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider when integrating abs(k)e^(ikx)dk. For example, if the function contains singularities or discontinuities, the integration may need to be split into multiple parts or approached using different methods. Additionally, if the function is defined over a limited range, the integration limits may need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating abs(k)e^(ikx)dk?

The integration of abs(k)e^(ikx)dk has various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to calculate the energy spectrum of a physical system, determine the probability of a quantum mechanical event, or evaluate the value of a financial derivative. It is a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding complex systems and phenomena.