Characteristic function of z (Joint?)

In summary, the problem involves finding the characteristic function and probability density function of a random variable Z, which is the sum of two independent random variables X and Y with exponential densities. The given densities for X and Y are Ωe-Ωx and βe-βy, respectively, where η and β are positive real-valued constants. To solve the problem, one can use the formulas and results from the course notes or textbook. If help is needed, it is recommended to show one's work and ask for advice.
Grobo
I need some help. Is there a good way to do this type of question?

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be independent random Variables with exponential densities

fX(x) = Ωe-Ωx, if X≥0
0, otherwise

fY(y) = βe-βy, if y≥0
0, otherwise

Respectively, where η and β are positive real-valued constants.

1) Find the characteristic function ∅z of Z = X+Y
2) Find the probability density function fZ(z) of Z = X+Y

Homework Equations

N/A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Grobo said:
I need some help. Is there a good way to do this type of question?

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be independent random Variables with exponential densities

fX(x) = Ωe-Ωx, if X≥0
0, otherwise

fY(y) = βe-βy, if y≥0
0, otherwise

Respectively, where η and β are positive real-valued constants.

1) Find the characteristic function ∅z of Z = X+Y
2) Find the probability density function fZ(z) of Z = X+Y

Homework Equations

N/A

Yes, a good way to do this type of question is to use the results in your course notes and/or textbook, and to just go ahead and use the formulas. If you show your work and if you get stuck on some specific point, then come back and ask for advice.

RGV

Well, by textbook ( or teachers .pdf ) does not explain how to do this kind of problem. I also found it difficult to find something about in on the internett that i understood.(Yes math is not one of my strongest subjects).

How should i begin to solve this problem?

What is the characteristic function of z?

The characteristic function of z is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a random variable z. It is defined as the expected value of the complex exponential e^(itz), where t is a real number.

How is the characteristic function used in statistics?

The characteristic function is used in statistics to describe the probability distribution of a random variable and to calculate its moments. It can also be used to prove important theorems, such as the Central Limit Theorem.

What is the difference between the characteristic function and the probability density function?

The characteristic function is a complex-valued function, while the probability density function is a real-valued function. The characteristic function describes the entire probability distribution, while the probability density function only describes the shape of the distribution.

Can the characteristic function be used for any type of random variable?

Yes, the characteristic function can be used for any type of random variable, including discrete and continuous variables. However, it may not always exist for all random variables.

How is the characteristic function related to the moment generating function?

The characteristic function and the moment generating function are related through a Fourier transform. The moment generating function can be obtained from the characteristic function by taking the logarithm and evaluating it at t=0.