Characteristic Spectrum and the K-alpha line

In summary, the K-alpha doublet is the result of a vacancy in the K shell being filled from the L shell, and the two lines (Kα1 and Kα2) can appear as a single, unresolved line which is taken as the weighted average of the two lines.
Baddum12
I have just finished a junior-level lab assignment in which we used X-ray diffraction to determine the lattice constants of unknown materials. In the theory section of the lab write-up, it briefly explains the K-alpha doublet of the characteristic spectrum. I understand that it is the result of a vacancy in the K shell being filled from the L shell, and I understand that the two lines (Kα1 and Kα2) can appear as a single, unresolved line which is taken as the weighted average of the two lines. What I don't understand is why the Kα1 line is always twice as strong as the Kα2 line. I have read through the section on the characteristic spectrum in {Cullity, B.D. Elements of X-Ray Diffraction. 3ed. Prentice Hall, 2001} and I am still a little confused. Is this just an experimentally observed fact?

Physics news on Phys.org
Baddum12 said:
I have just finished a junior-level lab assignment in which we used X-ray diffraction to determine the lattice constants of unknown materials. In the theory section of the lab write-up, it briefly explains the K-alpha doublet of the characteristic spectrum. I understand that it is the result of a vacancy in the K shell being filled from the L shell, and I understand that the two lines (Kα1 and Kα2) can appear as a single, unresolved line which is taken as the weighted average of the two lines. What I don't understand is why the Kα1 line is always twice as strong as the Kα2 line. I have read through the section on the characteristic spectrum in {Cullity, B.D. Elements of X-Ray Diffraction. 3ed. Prentice Hall, 2001} and I am still a little confused. Is this just an experimentally observed fact?
For Kα1 the total angular momentum of the initial state is 3/2, this has states with Jz components of 3/2,1/2,-1/2,-3/2. In comparison the inital states for kα2 emission have a total angular momentum of 1/2 which has Jz values of 1/2,-1/2. Thus there are twice as many states which for the electron to decay to by emitting Kα1 than Kα2.

Likes Baddum12
Vagn said:
For Kα1 the total angular momentum of the initial state is 3/2, this has states with Jz components of 3/2,1/2,-1/2,-3/2. In comparison the inital states for kα2 emission have a total angular momentum of 1/2 which has Jz values of 1/2,-1/2. Thus there are twice as many states which for the electron to decay to by emitting Kα1 than Kα2.
Thanks a lot, Vagn, that is actually pretty straight-forward. Cheers!

1. What is a characteristic spectrum?

A characteristic spectrum is a unique pattern of spectral lines emitted by an atom or molecule that is specific to its chemical composition. These spectral lines are produced when electrons in the atom or molecule are excited to higher energy levels and then fall back to their ground state, emitting photons of specific wavelengths.

2. What is the K-alpha line?

The K-alpha line is one of the characteristic spectral lines in the X-ray region of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is produced when an electron in the innermost electron shell of an atom is excited and then falls back to its ground state, emitting a photon with a specific energy and wavelength.

3. How is the K-alpha line used in scientific research?

The K-alpha line can be used to identify the chemical composition of a substance through X-ray spectroscopy. It can also be used to study the structure and properties of atoms and molecules, as well as to analyze the composition of materials in various fields such as medicine, materials science, and environmental science.

4. What factors affect the energy and wavelength of the K-alpha line?

The energy and wavelength of the K-alpha line are determined by the atomic number and electronic configuration of the atom emitting the line. Other factors that can affect the energy and wavelength include the presence of nearby atoms or molecules, as well as external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How is the K-alpha line different from other spectral lines?

The K-alpha line is unique in that it is the strongest spectral line in the X-ray region and is specific to the chemical composition of the atom emitting it. Other spectral lines may vary in intensity and can be produced by multiple atoms or molecules, making them less specific for identification purposes.