1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to absorb a characteristic line in the spectrum

1. Jun 15, 2013 #1
    I have an x-ray tube. When I see the spectrum, I notice the characteristic lines of the anode. What do I have to do if I want to absorb a characteristic line?

I have thought that I can add a filter. But.. which filter? Should it be an element such that the bound energy for the K-shell electrons is minor of the energy of the characteristic line that I want to absorb?

I want to filter the k_alpha line much more than the k_beta line.

Which filter do I have to use?

Zr, E_k=18 kev

Nb, E_k=18.99 kev

Mo, E_k=20 kev

According to what I previously said, I'd choose Zr and Nb. Do you agree with me?

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is an emission line we are talking about, and you don't want it in the spectrum?
    Then why not take a background spectrum and subtract it from the final data spectrum.

Or do you want to preferentially detect that line?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook