K, L, M electron transitions, x-ray emission lines, conflicting information

In summary, electron transitions for EDX, XES and other x-ray fluorescence techniques are named according to the shells involved and the intensity or energy position of the line. The notation for these transitions can be traced back to historical labeling and can be confusing, but is still commonly used.
ApeXaviour
So the basic understanding I have of electron transitions for EDX, XES and other x-ray fluorescence techniques is that a transition from:
L to K shell is named [itex]K\alpha[/itex]
M to K shell is [itex]K\beta[/itex]
N to K shell is [itex]K\gamma[/itex]
M to L shell is [itex]K\alpha[/itex]
etc.

Grand, easy... google leads me to multiple diagrams explaining it like this. But now I have a feeling that's a bit woolly and the real story is more convoluted. The http://xdb.lbl.gov/Section1/Sec_1-2.html" [Broken] which shows [itex]L\beta _{2}[/itex] being an N to L transition and [itex]K\beta _{2}[/itex] being an N to K transition...

Can anyone explain to me why this is? Is there a physical logic to it or is it just from historical labeling of lines observed?

Also the last number, say [itex]L\beta _{2}[/itex], what does the 2 refer to? Is it the intensity of the line? The energy position?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-alpha

It's confusing historical notation but people continue to use it anyway. I think in practice the 1, 2, etc. refers to the wavelength ordering of distinct lines, which I believe corresponds to different delta-J values but I won't swear that this is always the case.

1. What are K, L, M electron transitions?

K, L, and M electron transitions refer to the energy levels of electrons in an atom. These letters represent the different shells or orbitals where electrons can exist. K is the innermost shell, L is the second shell, and M is the third shell. When an electron moves from one shell to another, it is undergoing a transition.

2. What are x-ray emission lines?

X-ray emission lines are specific wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation that are emitted when electrons in an atom transition from a higher energy level to a lower one. These lines are unique to each element and can be used to identify the presence of certain elements in a sample.

3. Why is there conflicting information about K, L, M electron transitions and x-ray emission lines?

There may be conflicting information about these topics because they are complex and can involve different theories and models. Additionally, new research and discoveries may lead to updates and changes in our understanding of these concepts.

4. How are K, L, M electron transitions related to x-ray emission lines?

K, L, M electron transitions are directly related to x-ray emission lines because the energy difference between the levels of an electron's transition determines the wavelength of the emitted x-ray. This means that the specific electron transitions in an atom will result in specific x-ray emission lines.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding K, L, M electron transitions and x-ray emission lines?

Understanding these concepts is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and medicine. X-ray emission lines are used in medical imaging techniques to produce images of the inside of the body, while K, L, M electron transitions are essential in understanding atomic structure and how elements interact with each other.