Characteristics of a transistor

• Thread starter tmoan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, a transistor has three zones of operation: the blockage zone, saturation zone, and modulation zone. The modulation zone is also known as the active region, where the transistor can be used for amplification. It lies between the cutoff zone and saturation zone and is modeled as a current-controlled current source using "h parameters".
tmoan
i have to submit a report on the characteristics of a transistor.
there's three zones
blockage zone
saturation zone
and modulation zone

i understand the first 2
but the modulation zone i couldn't find out what it is

please help if you can
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
please someone help the guy
I have the same question
thanks

tmoan said:
i have to submit a report on the characteristics of a transistor.
there's three zones
blockage zone
saturation zone
and modulation zone

i understand the first 2
but the modulation zone i couldn't find out what it is

On wikipedia they are called "regions of operation"

The blockage zone is the cutoff region.
The saturation zone is the saturation region.
The modulation zone would be the active (or forward-active) region. This is the region where the transistor can be used for amplification. The base-emitter and collector emitter junctions are forward biased, and the collector current is below the saturation current.

than you

the modulation zone is the zone that lies between the cutoff zone and saturation zone. in that zone, we like to model the transistor as a "current-controlled current source" and use these "h parameters" to describe it.

What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals and electrical power. It is one of the basic building blocks of modern electronic devices.

What are the three main characteristics of a transistor?

The three main characteristics of a transistor are gain, input resistance, and output resistance. Gain refers to the ability of the transistor to amplify a signal, while input resistance and output resistance refer to the resistance of the transistor to the incoming and outgoing signals, respectively.

What is the difference between a bipolar junction transistor and a field-effect transistor?

A bipolar junction transistor (BJT) uses both electrons and holes as charge carriers, while a field-effect transistor (FET) uses only one type of charge carrier (either electrons or holes). Additionally, the way in which the control signal is applied to the transistor differs between the two types.

What are the common types of transistors?

The most common types of transistors are the bipolar junction transistor (BJT), the metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET), and the junction field-effect transistor (JFET). These types differ in their construction and operation, but all serve similar purposes in electronic circuits.

What are some applications of transistors?

Transistors have a wide range of applications in modern electronics, including amplification of signals in audio and radio frequency circuits, switching and control in digital logic circuits, and regulation of power in electronic power supplies. They are also used in microprocessors, computers, and many other electronic devices.